Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Easter Monday celebrations

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
      Thanks Greg

      ________________________________
      From: Greg <greg@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:39 AM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Easter Monday celebrations

      Vilo:

      Slovakia actually issued an Easter Monday whipping stamp.

      I'll see if I can find one on the net or do a scan of one if I can't.

      Talk about politically incorrect.

      The latest Slovak Easter stamp is interesting as it is a scented stamp that smells of tulips.

      THE SLOVAK Post (Slovenská pošta) issued on March 1 the "Easter 2013: Folk Themes in the Work of ¼udovít Fulla" postage stamp, with a nominal value of €0.45.

      "The postage stamp is issued on print sheets with 50 stamps, and this year, they contain a tulip fragrance," spokesperson of the Slovak Post Stanislava Pondelová informed the TASR newswire.

      The main motif of the stamp is an Easter egg decorated with folk patterns. The stamp's ornamental design references the work of ¼udovít Fulla, a key figure in modern, 20th Century Slovak painting, whose work was inspired by folk iconography.

      The First-Day Cover (FDC), designed by Robert Janèoviè and also inspired by the work of ¼udovít Fulla, was recently issued as well, and depicts an allegory of the re-birth in the form of a crucified Christ set in typical folk Easter themes – an egg and a bunny. The Slovak Post also issued on this occasion a pictorial post card with a pre-printed stamp on the address side. More information can be found – also in English – on the www.pofis.sk website.

      Greg

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

      > I have been reading about Slovak Easter Monday celebrations.  Most of
      > the articles mention only Monday, when the boys "whip" the girls and
      > throw water over them.  There has not been a mention of Tuesday, when
      > the girls take revenge.  Most articles call this a "MEAN" tradition, as
      > if the girls hate it and are hurt.
      >
      > I have been in Slovakia,
      > (Zahorie region), during Holy week and Easter week and thoroughly happy
      > to experience the traditions.  Young people are so very happy and at
      > times the mothers are frustrated when the girls run away from the boys
      > and hide in the bedroom.  When found by the boys and she jumps on the
      > bed the
      > splash  the girl and bed, down through the mattress.
      >
      > Adults
      > visit relatives and close friends.  The men carry a small imitation of
      > an old fashioned woven rug beater, with ribbons tied on it  Upon
      > entering a home they tap the women's shoulders and kiss them.  In turn
      > the woman gives them a shot of slivovica.  During my second vist, (for
      > Easter), I limited the number of visits, Ahem.... Ahem....... Then on Tuesday, I could remember Monday.  The day is "so much fun" for everyone.
      >
      > Hope you all has a Blessed and Happy Celebration of thr Risien Christ, Jesus.
      >
      > S Panem Bohem,
      >
      > Vilo

    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
        Greg, it's great to have you back from wherever . . .