RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Easter Monday celebrations

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
      Yes, you're reading it right Ron. "Oops, it seems to have somehow frozen."

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: amiak27@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 00:15:22 +0000
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Easter Monday celebrations

      Vilo,

      Since one of my Slovak cousins posted this at Easter time, I assume it is a turn around on the men using whips and the women tossing water .... at least that is the order I saw in the Slovak colony formed in the Czech Republic by Slovaks moving over from Slovakia after WW II. The women tossed the water, them men & boys used a woven willow whip with ribbon to ritually whip the ladies.

      But then, this should be the cartoon the one cousin from Slovakia posted, showing the water had frozen:

      https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/303343_499996116728213_314147906_n.jpg

      Am I reading this right?

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

      > I have been reading about Slovak Easter Monday celebrations.��� Most of

      > the articles mention only Monday, when the boys "whip" the girls and

      > throw water over them.��� There has not been a mention of Tuesday, when

      > the girls take revenge.��� Most articles call this a "MEAN" tradition, as

      > if the girls hate it and are hurt.

      > I have been in Slovakia,

      > (Zahorie region), during Holy week and Easter week and thoroughly happy

      > to experience the traditions.��� Young people are so very happy and at

      > times the mothers are frustrated when the girls run away from the boys

      > and hide in the bedroom.��� When found by the boys and she jumps on the

      > bed the

      > splash��� the girl and bed, down through the mattress.

      > Adults

      > visit relatives and close friends.��� The men carry a small imitation of

      > an old fashioned woven rug beater, with ribbons tied on it��� Upon

      > entering a home they tap the women's shoulders and kiss them.��� In turn

      > the woman gives them a shot of slivovica.��� During my second vist, (for

      > Easter), I limited the number of visits, Ahem.... Ahem....... Then on Tuesday, I could remember Monday.��� The day is "so much fun" for everyone.

      > Hope you all has a Blessed and Happy Celebration of thr Risien Christ, Jesus.

      > S Panem Bohem,

      > Vilo

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
        Ron.

        The Whip is called Korbac~ [Kohrr-bach].  I once watched an older friend weave a very intricate korbac~.    Monday, "get the Girls" and Tuesday "get the Boys".

        What is the meaning of this statement?  ".....  in the Slovak colony formed in the

        ________________________________
        Since one of my Slovak cousins posted this at Easter time, I assume it is a turn around on the men using whips and the women tossing water .... at least that is the order I saw in the Slovak colony formed in the Czech Republic by Slovaks moving over from Slovakia after WW II. The women tossed the water, them men & boys used a woven willow whip with ribbon to ritually whip the ladies.

        But then, this should be the cartoon the one cousin from Slovakia posted, showing the water had frozen:
        https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/303343_499996116728213_314147906_n.jpg

        Am I reading this right?

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

        > I have been reading about Slovak Easter Monday celebrations.� Most of
        > the articles mention only Monday, when the boys "whip" the girls and
        > throw water over them.� There has not been a mention of Tuesday, when
        > the girls take revenge.� Most articles call this a "MEAN" tradition, as
        > if the girls hate it and are hurt.
        >
        > I have been in Slovakia,
        > (Zahorie region), during Holy week and Easter week and thoroughly happy
        > to experience the traditions.� Young people are so very happy and at
        > times the mothers are frustrated when the girls run away from the boys
        > and hide in the bedroom.� When found by the boys and she jumps on the
        > bed the
        > splash� the girl and bed, down through the mattress.
        >
        > Adults
        > visit relatives and close friends.� The men carry a small imitation of
        > an old fashioned woven rug beater, with ribbons tied on it� Upon
        > entering a home they tap the women's shoulders and kiss them.� In turn
        > the woman gives them a shot of slivovica.� During my second vist, (for
        > Easter), I limited the number of visits, Ahem.... Ahem....... Then on Tuesday, I could remember Monday.� The day is "so much fun" for everyone.
        >
        > Hope you all has a Blessed and Happy Celebration of thr Risien Christ, Jesus.
        >
        > S Panem Bohem,
        >
        > Vilo

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Vilo,

          After the Sudetenland was emptied of the ethnic Germans the land was opened up to internal colonization within CzechoSlovakia. I had an uncle and an aunt who each brought their families from eastern Slovakia to the former Sudetenland, in this case the Spa area (Marianske Lazne, Fratiskovy Lazne and Karlovy Vary)today in the NW corner of the Czech Republic, right on the German border.

          There were so many Slovaks and Rusyn resettled in the area that they brought their culture and traditions with them and effectively formed colonies or islands of Slovak & Rusyn culture. Thus the Easter traditions are quite healthy there as well as in Slovakia.

          Today they are pretty well assimilated into the Czech culture, r identify as Czech, even if they carry on the Slovak traditions. As most of our ancestors became American.

          I don't know how closely related it is, but Ivan Popp settled in Cheb, next to Frantiskovy Lazne, just one of the better known people.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

          > Ron.
          >
          > The Whip is called Korbac~ [Kohrr-bach].  I once watched an older friend weave a very intricate korbac~.    Monday, "get the Girls" and Tuesday "get the Boys".
          >
          > What is the meaning of this statement?  ".....  in the Slovak colony formed in the
          > Czech Republic by Slovaks moving over from Slovakia after WW II."
          >
          > Vilo
          >

          > ________________________________

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            Ron,

            Oh! o'k, I do know about this but didn't know if this was your reference.  I have Never heard anyone reference this on line.  It was the forced movement by the communists., to assure the Sudeinten Germans would not try to return.  As I remember, they were forbidden to speak Slovak.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            After the Sudetenland was emptied of the ethnic Germans the land was opened up to internal colonization within CzechoSlovakia. I had an uncle and an aunt who each brought their families from eastern Slovakia to the former Sudetenland, in this case the Spa area (Marianske Lazne, Fratiskovy Lazne and Karlovy Vary)today in the NW corner of the Czech Republic, right on the German border.

            There were so many Slovaks and Rusyn resettled in the area that they brought their culture and traditions with them and effectively formed colonies or islands of Slovak & Rusyn culture. Thus the Easter traditions are quite healthy there as well as in Slovakia.

            Today they are pretty well assimilated into the Czech culture, r identify as Czech, even if they carry on the Slovak traditions. As most of our ancestors became American.

            I don't know how closely related it is, but Ivan Popp settled in Cheb, next to Frantiskovy Lazne, just one of the better known people.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

            > Ron.
            >
            > The Whip is called Korbac~ [Kohrr-bach].  I once watched an older friend weave a very intricate korbac~.    Monday, "get the Girls" and Tuesday "get the Boys".
            >
            > What is the meaning of this statement?  ".....  in the Slovak colony formed in the
            > Czech Republic by Slovaks moving over from Slovakia after WW II."
            >
            > Vilo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
              Well, no. This was before communism (Feb 1948 is when they took over). I believe my aunt and uncle moved over, voluntarily, in 1946.

              It only makes sense to allow people to move in quickly to keep buildings and infrastructure and farms and animals from suffering. Think of the croplands, the farm houses, cities and the farm animals that were left uncared for when the Germans were kicked out.

              It would be interesting reading a more complete story of how Czechoslovakia approached this problem under the different governments and years.

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                Vilo:

                Slovakia actually issued an Easter Monday whipping stamp.

                I'll see if I can find one on the net or do a scan of one if I can't.

                Talk about politically incorrect.

                The latest Slovak Easter stamp is interesting as it is a scented stamp that smells of tulips.

                THE SLOVAK Post (Slovenská pošta) issued on March 1 the "Easter 2013: Folk Themes in the Work of ¼udovít Fulla" postage stamp, with a nominal value of €0.45.

                "The postage stamp is issued on print sheets with 50 stamps, and this year, they contain a tulip fragrance," spokesperson of the Slovak Post Stanislava Pondelová informed the TASR newswire.

                The main motif of the stamp is an Easter egg decorated with folk patterns. The stamp's ornamental design references the work of ¼udovít Fulla, a key figure in modern, 20th Century Slovak painting, whose work was inspired by folk iconography.

                The First-Day Cover (FDC), designed by Robert Janèoviè and also inspired by the work of ¼udovít Fulla, was recently issued as well, and depicts an allegory of the re-birth in the form of a crucified Christ set in typical folk Easter themes – an egg and a bunny. The Slovak Post also issued on this occasion a pictorial post card with a pre-printed stamp on the address side. More information can be found – also in English – on the www.pofis.sk website.

                Greg

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                > I have been reading about Slovak Easter Monday celebrations.  Most of
                > the articles mention only Monday, when the boys "whip" the girls and
                > throw water over them.  There has not been a mention of Tuesday, when
                > the girls take revenge.  Most articles call this a "MEAN" tradition, as
                > if the girls hate it and are hurt.
                >
                > I have been in Slovakia,
                > (Zahorie region), during Holy week and Easter week and thoroughly happy
                > to experience the traditions.  Young people are so very happy and at
                > times the mothers are frustrated when the girls run away from the boys
                > and hide in the bedroom.  When found by the boys and she jumps on the
                > bed the
                > splash  the girl and bed, down through the mattress.
                >
                > Adults
                > visit relatives and close friends.  The men carry a small imitation of
                > an old fashioned woven rug beater, with ribbons tied on it  Upon
                > entering a home they tap the women's shoulders and kiss them.  In turn
                > the woman gives them a shot of slivovica.  During my second vist, (for
                > Easter), I limited the number of visits, Ahem.... Ahem....... Then on Tuesday, I could remember Monday.  The day is "so much fun" for everyone.
                >
                > Hope you all has a Blessed and Happy Celebration of thr Risien Christ, Jesus.
                >
                > S Panem Bohem,
                >
                > Vilo

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Thanks Greg

                  ________________________________
                  Slovakia actually issued an Easter Monday whipping stamp.

                  I'll see if I can find one on the net or do a scan of one if I can't.

                  Talk about politically incorrect.

                  The latest Slovak Easter stamp is interesting as it is a scented stamp that smells of tulips.

                  THE SLOVAK Post (Slovenská pošta) issued on March 1 the "Easter 2013: Folk Themes in the Work of ¼udovít Fulla" postage stamp, with a nominal value of €0.45.

                  "The postage stamp is issued on print sheets with 50 stamps, and this year, they contain a tulip fragrance," spokesperson of the Slovak Post Stanislava Pondelová informed the TASR newswire.

                  The main motif of the stamp is an Easter egg decorated with folk patterns. The stamp's ornamental design references the work of ¼udovít Fulla, a key figure in modern, 20th Century Slovak painting, whose work was inspired by folk iconography.

                  The First-Day Cover (FDC), designed by Robert Janèoviè and also inspired by the work of ¼udovít Fulla, was recently issued as well, and depicts an allegory of the re-birth in the form of a crucified Christ set in typical folk Easter themes – an egg and a bunny. The Slovak Post also issued on this occasion a pictorial post card with a pre-printed stamp on the address side. More information can be found – also in English – on the www.pofis.sk website.

                  Greg

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                  > I have been reading about Slovak Easter Monday celebrations.  Most of
                  > the articles mention only Monday, when the boys "whip" the girls and
                  > throw water over them.  There has not been a mention of Tuesday, when
                  > the girls take revenge.  Most articles call this a "MEAN" tradition, as
                  > if the girls hate it and are hurt.
                  >
                  > I have been in Slovakia,
                  > (Zahorie region), during Holy week and Easter week and thoroughly happy
                  > to experience the traditions.  Young people are so very happy and at
                  > times the mothers are frustrated when the girls run away from the boys
                  > and hide in the bedroom.  When found by the boys and she jumps on the
                  > bed the
                  > splash  the girl and bed, down through the mattress.
                  >
                  > Adults
                  > visit relatives and close friends.  The men carry a small imitation of
                  > an old fashioned woven rug beater, with ribbons tied on it  Upon
                  > entering a home they tap the women's shoulders and kiss them.  In turn
                  > the woman gives them a shot of slivovica.  During my second vist, (for
                  > Easter), I limited the number of visits, Ahem.... Ahem....... Then on Tuesday, I could remember Monday.  The day is "so much fun" for everyone.
                  >
                  > Hope you all has a Blessed and Happy Celebration of thr Risien Christ, Jesus.
                  >
                  > S Panem Bohem,
                  >
                  > Vilo

                • JOHN
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Greg, it's great to have you back from wherever . . .