Embroidered cloth translation

  • Karen Dreucci
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2013
      I have a lovely embroidered cloth with birds, flowers, and a saying that I think is in Slovak. Is there anybody who would be willing to look at a picture of it and possibly give me some idea of what it says? I can email the photo to anybody who will take a look at it. Thank you! Karen Dreucci
    • jusufzemplin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hi, you can email a picture to me, or just retype a text...

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Dreucci" <dogislove2@...> wrote:

        > I have a lovely embroidered cloth with birds, flowers, and a saying that I think is in Slovak. Is there anybody who would be willing to look at a picture of it and possibly give me some idea of what it says? I can email the photo to anybody who will take a look at it. Thank you! Karen Dreucci

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
          Or possibly,upload the pic to the "files" section so we all may see it?

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2013
            Thank you,Dennis, for telling me about uploading the photo to the Files section. I just did that. I'll appreciate any help anybody can give me!
            Karen

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
              Karen,
              Did you ever get a translation of what's embroidered on the cloth? If not, could you take another photo? The one you posted is just blurry enough on a crucial word to make it hard to make out.

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              From: dogislove2@...
              Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000
              Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Embroidered cloth translation

              Thank you,Dennis, for telling me about uploading the photo to the Files section. I just did that. I'll appreciate any help anybody can give me!
              Karen

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Dreucci" <dogislove2@...> wrote:

              > I have a lovely embroidered cloth with birds, flowers, and a saying that I think is in Slovak. Is there anybody who would be willing to look at a picture of it and possibly give me some idea of what it says? I can email the photo to anybody who will take a look at it. Thank you! Karen Dreucci

            • Nemam Meno
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
                Helen:
                It’s an old
                folk song and an old adage at the same time.  I know it as “Zaspievalo vtáča na kosodrevine, čo komu súdené, to ho ver
                neminie.”
                Simply put, it implies that you get what you deserve.  Literally, however, it says: a singing bird on
                scrub warns that what your fate (what has been adjudged) has prepared for you,
                it won’t miss you.  Of course, in Slovak,
                it rhymes, it’s poetically written, and it sounds more eloquent than my
                mediocre translation, which is neither poetic nor elegant.
                Take care,

                ________________________________

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                From: dogislove2@...
                Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I am not at home this week, but will gladly upload another photo next week. Thank you for your help!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
                    Thanks, that's pretty much what I got too, but I just wanted to make sure.

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                    From: menonemam@...
                    Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:24:02 -0700

                    Helen:
                    It's an old
                    folk song and an old adage at the same time. I know it as "Zaspievalo vt��a na kosodrevine, �o komu s�den�, to ho ver

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dogislove2@...
                    Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 03:42:20 +0000

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013