RE: [Slovak-World] Questions about Slovak Folk Music

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
      I remember my mom talking about Gypsy bands playing at weddings. She also said that she and her friends liked to dance, so they'd think nothing of joining hands to make a karic~ka ("circle" and a type of girls' dance) and singing to accompany their dancing, which was done wherever they happened to gather, somewhere outside.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: dragansk@...
      Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:04:36 +0000
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Questions about Slovak Folk Music

      I'm looking for input from the group on the most popular old Slovak folk songs that would have been known by Slovaks (especially Eastern Slovaks) in the early 1900s. My grandmother (b. 1907) knew a number of them, but I don't recall which ones. I've wondered if she learned these songs in Slovakia or here in the Pittsburgh area after she arrived in the U.S. in 1929.

      Because Slovaks in the villages likely didn't have access to radios since they few had electricity, how were they exposed to this popular folk music? Traveling musicians and folk groups, passed down from parents, learned in school?

      Dennis

    • Inez Giles
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
        Dennis, thanks for asking about the old songs. What a trip down memory
        lane! The most popular song I can remember my mother singing and
        signing with Roman Niznik's group is "Tancuj! Tancuj!" (It was part
        of every show we did when we performed at the Nationality Festival at
        the Civic Area.) The other song was "Anicka, dushica, kde si bola"
        We were from McKees Rocks - west of Pittsburgh.

        When I was in Czechoslovakia in 1977 and 1978 as part of SAS, I
        traveled a bit with friends after the sessions ended and we visited
        villages where the "village bands" were rehearsing. The bands would
        rehearse in preparation for participation in the various festivals:
        Vychodna and Detva, come to mind. One major way I believe music
        traditions spread in Slovak was at festivals.

        This is when I know I'm getting old. It seems like just yesterday..
        Thanks again for asking - Inez

        P.S. While I have your attention, so to speak, Is there anyone who
        knows anything about Slovakia's gold embroidery traditions? I don't
        want to "deconstruct" any of my pieces. So I was hoping someone would
        have a thought about this technique. It's referred to as "vysivky na
        cartu" It is gold thread embroidery worked over card board. There was
        a woman in Cifer two/three years ago who offered to sell me a plastic
        template for 100 Euros. It was just a small plastic template - but it
        did have an intricate pattern. Sigh... I thought the price really
        exorbitant at the time. Now? Now, I'm sorry I didn't purchase it. In
        any event, if you have ideas to share, please contact off-line or here
        if you like. Thanks again.