Re: [Slovak-World] St. Andrew's Day

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
      Thank Vilo.

      ________________________________
      From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 11:31 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] St. Andrew's Day

      Below are listings of holi and Holy days in Slovakia.  I have never heard of the celebration for Sväty Andrej [Sveh-tee Ahndrehee], Ondrej [Ohn-drhee].  The name day od November 30.  The celebration you mention might be Local, Regional or Byzantine.

      http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/slovakia/index.php

      http://www.mzv.sk/servlet/content?MT=/App/WCM/main.nsf/vw_ByID/ID_DD6F67735A1B6F80C12576350033486B_EN&OpenDocument=Y&LANG=EN&TG=BlankMaster&URL=/App/WCM/AktualneTemy.nsf/%28vw_ByID%29/ID_E9563574D7EFD87CC12571A80036451C

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
        Thanks Curt,

        I have a student this semester from Poland who mentioned it in passing, and so I tried to find out more. Found an on line blog and a Wiki reference that mentioned it with regard to Slovakia. The student discussed it in the context of Catholic influence in Poland and people orienting to time by saints days.

        Jenna

        ________________________________
        I think it is pretty much a Byzantine tradition. Anyway I know it in the Ukraine and Romania. They celebrate St. Andrew the same day in November as Roman Catholics.. Girls there may put some leaves of basil under their pillow. If someone takes it in their dreams that night, they will marry during the next year. I don't think it is common anymore. Where did you run across the story?

        Curt B.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
          Thanks Martin.

          > Does anyone know if anyone still "really" celebrates St.
          > Andrew's day in Slovakia anymore? I was reading something
          > that discussed that young women customarily did certain
          > rituals to attract a potential future husband on this day

          Women banging on hen houses, rattling farm fences, but also modern female college students putting fruit tree branches in vases and more here, Jenna:

          http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot/

          No registration needed to read, click and view.

          Those tired of spam who register can receive "Slovak Spot" posts at whatever non-Google e-mail address they wish and send comments from it.