Storm over Slovakia

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
      It looks like lots of trouble and heavy snow in Slovakia. One report with photos is at
      http://www.topky.sk/cl/10/1339596/ONLINE-Presov-vyhlasil-mimoriadnu-situaciu--O-pomoc-poziadali-armadu--letectvo-aj-vaznov

      and to read the reports on that page from around Slovakia, you might go to translate.google.sk and enter the URL above in the box (set slovak to english) and press 'prelozit'.

      some samples:
      16:09 emergencies on snowy roads declared in Žilina region has 19 municipalities.

      15:49 Without electricity supply was now the 15th hour of the attack because of wet snow about 5,700 delivery points

      15:40 on Friday 8th February for calamity interrupt classes in four schools Ves - SOS Markušovský cesta 4, 16 Maple High School, Grammar School 7, 16 Maple Language School, also in Gelnica High School and Gymnasium in Krompachy.

      16:47 h on Wednesday evening, when we received the first reports of fallen trees on the road today to 12.30 pm firefighters had to fill them a total of 44 trips, especially in the district Rožňava, New Spišská Ves and Košice-around,
    • jenna-m
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
        Does anyone know if anyone still "really" celebrates St. Andrew's day in Slovakia anymore? I was reading something that discussed that young women customarily did certain rituals to attract a potential future husband on this day? Anyone hear of any such stories?

        Jenna

        ________________________________
[...]

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
          Below are listings of holi and Holy days in Slovakia.  I have never heard of the celebration for Sväty Andrej [Sveh-tee Ahndrehee], Ondrej [Ohn-drhee].  The name day od November 30.  The celebration you mention might be Local, Regional or Byzantine.

          http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/slovakia/index.php

          http://www.mzv.sk/servlet/content?MT=/App/WCM/main.nsf/vw_ByID/ID_DD6F67735A1B6F80C12576350033486B_EN&OpenDocument=Y&LANG=EN&TG=BlankMaster&URL=/App/WCM/AktualneTemy.nsf/%28vw_ByID%29/ID_E9563574D7EFD87CC12571A80036451C

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
            It is also a Scottish celebration

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 11, 2013, at 11:31 PM, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

            > Below are listings of holi and Holy days in Slovakia. I have never heard of the celebration for Sväty Andrej [Sveh-tee Ahndrehee], Ondrej [Ohn-drhee]. The name day od November 30. The celebration you mention might be Local, Regional or Byzantine.
            >
            > http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/slovakia/index.php
            >
            > http://www.mzv.sk/servlet/content?MT=/App/WCM/main.nsf/vw_ByID/ID_DD6F67735A1B6F80C12576350033486B_EN&OpenDocument=Y&LANG=EN&TG=BlankMaster&URL=/App/WCM/AktualneTemy.nsf/%28vw_ByID%29/ID_E9563574D7EFD87CC12571A80036451C
            >
            > Z Bohom,
            >
            > Vilo
            >
            > ________________________________

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
              Jenna,
              I think it is pretty much a Byzantine tradition. Anyway I know it in the Ukraine and Romania. They celebrate St. Andrew the same day in November as Roman Catholics.. Girls there may put some leaves of basil under their pillow. If someone takes it in their dreams that night, they will marry during the next year. I don't think it is common anymore. Where did you run across the story?

              Curt B.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m wrote:

              > Does anyone know if anyone still "really" celebrates St. Andrew's day in Slovakia anymore? I was reading something that discussed that young women customarily did certain rituals to attract a potential future husband on this day? Anyone hear of any such stories?
              >
              > Jenna
              >

              > ________________________________

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
                > Does anyone know if anyone still "really" celebrates St.
                > Andrew's day in Slovakia anymore? I was reading something
                > that discussed that young women customarily did certain
                > rituals to attract a potential future husband on this day

                Women banging on hen houses, rattling farm fences, but also modern female college students putting fruit tree branches in vases and more here, Jenna:

                http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot/

                No registration needed to read, click and view.

                Those tired of spam who register can receive "Slovak Spot" posts at whatever non-Google e-mail address they wish and send comments from it.
              • jenna-m
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
                  Thank Vilo.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
                    Thanks Curt,

                    I have a student this semester from Poland who mentioned it in passing, and so I tried to find out more. Found an on line blog and a Wiki reference that mentioned it with regard to Slovakia. The student discussed it in the context of Catholic influence in Poland and people orienting to time by saints days.

                    Jenna

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
                      Thanks Martin.