Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
      On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

      > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
      > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
      >
      > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
      > Anybody else have this name?

      I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

      I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
        My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett