Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
        http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

        I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
        Anybody else have this name?

        Peter M.

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            helene

             Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

            How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

            ________________________________

            Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

            helene

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
              On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

              > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
              > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
              >
              > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
              > Anybody else have this name?

              I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

              I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • Matchett
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett