Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Ahoj Helene,

      FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
      POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
          http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

          I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
          Anybody else have this name?

          Peter M.

        • lkocik@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              helene

               Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

              How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

              ________________________________

              Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

              helene

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                >
                > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                > Anybody else have this name?

                I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
              • Matchett
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                  My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett