Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Helene,

      I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

      Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

      Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

      I'll let you know if I find any more.

      Mar Kay

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Aunt Sue born Urska.
        LLeporis

        ------------------------------
        On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

        >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
        >
        >Sent from my iPhone
        >
        >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Everyone,
        >>
        >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
        >>
        >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
        >>
        >> Female names
        >> Maria
        >> Anna
        >> Helena
        >> Zuzana
        >> Katerina
        >> Barbora
        >> Dorota
        >> Lucia
        >>
        >> Male Names
        >> Juraj
        >> Jan
        >> Michal
        >> Jozef
        >> Peter
        >> Mikulas
        >> Matej
        >> Martin
        >> Lukas
        >> Ondrej
        >> David
        >>
        >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
        >>
        >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
        >>
        >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
        >>
        >> helene

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Ahoj Helene,

          FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
          POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
              http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

              I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
              Anybody else have this name?

              Peter M.

            • lkocik@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  helene

                   Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                  How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                  ________________________________

                  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                  helene

                • Julie Michutka
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                    On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                    > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                    > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                    >
                    > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                    > Anybody else have this name?

                    I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                    I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • Matchett
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                      My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett