Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      > the translate to English at top
      > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

      Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

      Martin
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hi Helene,

        I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

        Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

        Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

        I'll let you know if I find any more.

        Mar Kay

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Aunt Sue born Urska.
          LLeporis

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

          >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
          >
          >Sent from my iPhone
          >
          >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Everyone,
          >>
          >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
          >>
          >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
          >>
          >> Female names
          >> Maria
          >> Anna
          >> Helena
          >> Zuzana
          >> Katerina
          >> Barbora
          >> Dorota
          >> Lucia
          >>
          >> Male Names
          >> Juraj
          >> Jan
          >> Michal
          >> Jozef
          >> Peter
          >> Mikulas
          >> Matej
          >> Martin
          >> Lukas
          >> Ondrej
          >> David
          >>
          >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
          >>
          >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
          >>
          >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
          >>
          >> helene

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Ahoj Helene,

            FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
            POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                Anybody else have this name?

                Peter M.

              • lkocik@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    helene

                     Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                    How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                    ________________________________

                    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                    helene

                  • Julie Michutka
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                      On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                      > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                      > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                      >
                      > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                      > Anybody else have this name?

                      I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                      I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • Matchett
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                        My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett