Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13 1:09 PM
      oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

      helene

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13 1:26 PM
        > the translate to English at top
        > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

        Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

        Martin
      • Katherine
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13 3:29 PM
          Hi Helene,

          I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

          Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

          Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

          I'll let you know if I find any more.

          Mar Kay

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13 4:32 PM
            Aunt Sue born Urska.
            LLeporis

            ------------------------------
            On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

            >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
            >
            >Sent from my iPhone
            >
            >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Everyone,
            >>
            >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
            >>
            >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
            >>
            >> Female names
            >> Maria
            >> Anna
            >> Helena
            >> Zuzana
            >> Katerina
            >> Barbora
            >> Dorota
            >> Lucia
            >>
            >> Male Names
            >> Juraj
            >> Jan
            >> Michal
            >> Jozef
            >> Peter
            >> Mikulas
            >> Matej
            >> Martin
            >> Lukas
            >> Ondrej
            >> David
            >>
            >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
            >>
            >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
            >>
            >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
            >>
            >> helene

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13 4:38 PM
              Ahoj Helene,

              FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
              POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13 4:45 PM
                How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13 4:53 PM
                  I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                  I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                  Anybody else have this name?

                  Peter M.

                • lkocik@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13 9:10 PM
                    My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13 9:15 PM
                      helene

                       Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                      How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                      ________________________________

                      Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                      helene

                    • Julie Michutka
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 14 4:44 AM
                        On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                        > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                        > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                        >
                        > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                        > Anybody else have this name?

                        I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                        I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...
                      • Matchett
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 14 12:18 PM
                          My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett