Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • gergely
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Ah, Paulina.

      Good Ole Aunt Pa.

      Jack Gergely
      Newport News

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Tonya Harmon
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:35 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

      Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

      Pavol (Paul)
      Milan
      Jaro (Jerry)
      Igor
      Stefan

      Paulina
      Juliana

      --
      Tonya

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

        helene

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          > the translate to English at top
          > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

          Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

          Martin
        • Katherine
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Hi Helene,

            I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

            Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

            Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

            I'll let you know if I find any more.

            Mar Kay

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Aunt Sue born Urska.
              LLeporis

              ------------------------------
              On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

              >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
              >
              >Sent from my iPhone
              >
              >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi Everyone,
              >>
              >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
              >>
              >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
              >>
              >> Female names
              >> Maria
              >> Anna
              >> Helena
              >> Zuzana
              >> Katerina
              >> Barbora
              >> Dorota
              >> Lucia
              >>
              >> Male Names
              >> Juraj
              >> Jan
              >> Michal
              >> Jozef
              >> Peter
              >> Mikulas
              >> Matej
              >> Martin
              >> Lukas
              >> Ondrej
              >> David
              >>
              >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
              >>
              >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
              >>
              >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
              >>
              >> helene

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                Ahoj Helene,

                FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                    I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                    Anybody else have this name?

                    Peter M.

                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        helene

                         Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                        How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                        ________________________________

                        Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                        helene

                      • Julie Michutka
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                          On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                          > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                          > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                          >
                          > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                          > Anybody else have this name?

                          I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                          I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...
                        • Matchett
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                            My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett