Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
      > just published that list of names poplar now

      Not particularly, Helene, see:

      http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

      > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

      That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

      The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

      slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

      Martin
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Ah, Paulina.

        Good Ole Aunt Pa.

        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

          helene

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            > the translate to English at top
            > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

            Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

            Martin
          • Katherine
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Hi Helene,

              I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

              Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

              Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

              I'll let you know if I find any more.

              Mar Kay

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                Aunt Sue born Urska.
                LLeporis

                ------------------------------
                On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                >
                >Sent from my iPhone
                >
                >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi Everyone,
                >>
                >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                >>
                >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                >>
                >> Female names
                >> Maria
                >> Anna
                >> Helena
                >> Zuzana
                >> Katerina
                >> Barbora
                >> Dorota
                >> Lucia
                >>
                >> Male Names
                >> Juraj
                >> Jan
                >> Michal
                >> Jozef
                >> Peter
                >> Mikulas
                >> Matej
                >> Martin
                >> Lukas
                >> Ondrej
                >> David
                >>
                >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                >>
                >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                >>
                >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                >>
                >> helene

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Ahoj Helene,

                  FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                  POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                      I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                      Anybody else have this name?

                      Peter M.

                    • lkocik@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          helene

                           Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                          How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                          ________________________________

                          Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                          helene

                        • Julie Michutka
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                            On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                            > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                            > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                            >
                            > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                            > Anybody else have this name?

                            I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                            I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...
                          • Matchett
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                              My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett