Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

      helene
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
        > just published that list of names poplar now

        Not particularly, Helene, see:

        http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

        > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

        That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

        The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

        slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

        Martin
      • gergely
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Ah, Paulina.

          Good Ole Aunt Pa.

          Jack Gergely
          Newport News

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

            helene

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              > the translate to English at top
              > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

              Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

              Martin
            • Katherine
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                Hi Helene,

                I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                I'll let you know if I find any more.

                Mar Kay

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Aunt Sue born Urska.
                  LLeporis

                  ------------------------------
                  On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                  >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                  >
                  >Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi Everyone,
                  >>
                  >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                  >>
                  >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                  >>
                  >> Female names
                  >> Maria
                  >> Anna
                  >> Helena
                  >> Zuzana
                  >> Katerina
                  >> Barbora
                  >> Dorota
                  >> Lucia
                  >>
                  >> Male Names
                  >> Juraj
                  >> Jan
                  >> Michal
                  >> Jozef
                  >> Peter
                  >> Mikulas
                  >> Matej
                  >> Martin
                  >> Lukas
                  >> Ondrej
                  >> David
                  >>
                  >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                  >>
                  >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                  >>
                  >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                  >>
                  >> helene

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Ahoj Helene,

                    FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                    POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                        http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                        I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                        Anybody else have this name?

                        Peter M.

                      • lkocik@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            helene

                             Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                            How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                            ________________________________

                            Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                            helene

                          • Julie Michutka
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                              On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                              > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                              > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                              >
                              > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                              > Anybody else have this name?

                              I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                              I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                              Julie Michutka
                              jmm@...
                            • Matchett
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett