Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • Tonya Harmon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

      Pavol (Paul)
      Milan
      Jaro (Jerry)
      Igor
      Stefan

      Paulina
      Juliana

      --
      Tonya

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

        helene
      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
          > just published that list of names poplar now

          Not particularly, Helene, see:

          http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

          > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

          That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

          The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

          slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

          Martin
        • gergely
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Ah, Paulina.

            Good Ole Aunt Pa.

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

              helene

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                > the translate to English at top
                > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                Martin
              • Katherine
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Hi Helene,

                  I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                  Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                  Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                  I'll let you know if I find any more.

                  Mar Kay

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Aunt Sue born Urska.
                    LLeporis

                    ------------------------------
                    On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                    >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                    >
                    >Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi Everyone,
                    >>
                    >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                    >>
                    >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                    >>
                    >> Female names
                    >> Maria
                    >> Anna
                    >> Helena
                    >> Zuzana
                    >> Katerina
                    >> Barbora
                    >> Dorota
                    >> Lucia
                    >>
                    >> Male Names
                    >> Juraj
                    >> Jan
                    >> Michal
                    >> Jozef
                    >> Peter
                    >> Mikulas
                    >> Matej
                    >> Martin
                    >> Lukas
                    >> Ondrej
                    >> David
                    >>
                    >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                    >>
                    >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                    >>
                    >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                    >>
                    >> helene

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      Ahoj Helene,

                      FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                      POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                          http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                          I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                          Anybody else have this name?

                          Peter M.

                        • lkocik@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              helene

                               Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                              How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                              ________________________________

                              Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                              helene

                            • Julie Michutka
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                >
                                > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                > Anybody else have this name?

                                I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                Julie Michutka
                                jmm@...
                              • Matchett
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                  My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett