Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

      > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
      >
      > Jack Gergely
      > Newport News

    • Tonya Harmon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

        Pavol (Paul)
        Milan
        Jaro (Jerry)
        Igor
        Stefan

        Paulina
        Juliana

        --
        Tonya

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

          helene
        • votrubam
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
            > just published that list of names poplar now

            Not particularly, Helene, see:

            http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

            > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

            That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

            The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

            slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

            Martin
          • gergely
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Ah, Paulina.

              Good Ole Aunt Pa.

              Jack Gergely
              Newport News

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                helene

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  > the translate to English at top
                  > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                  Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                  Martin
                • Katherine
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Hi Helene,

                    I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                    Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                    Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                    I'll let you know if I find any more.

                    Mar Kay

                    I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                    >
                    > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                    >
                    > Female names
                    > Maria
                    > Anna
                    > Helena
                    > Zuzana
                    > Katerina
                    > Barbora
                    > Dorota
                    > Lucia
                    >
                    > Male Names
                    > Juraj
                    > Jan
                    > Michal
                    > Jozef
                    > Peter
                    > Mikulas
                    > Matej
                    > Martin
                    > Lukas
                    > Ondrej
                    > David
                    >
                    > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                    >
                    > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                    >
                    > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                    >
                    > helene

                  • L. LEPORIS
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      Aunt Sue born Urska.
                      LLeporis

                      ------------------------------
                      On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                      >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                      >
                      >Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi Everyone,
                      >>
                      >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                      >>
                      >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                      >>
                      >> Female names
                      >> Maria
                      >> Anna
                      >> Helena
                      >> Zuzana
                      >> Katerina
                      >> Barbora
                      >> Dorota
                      >> Lucia
                      >>
                      >> Male Names
                      >> Juraj
                      >> Jan
                      >> Michal
                      >> Jozef
                      >> Peter
                      >> Mikulas
                      >> Matej
                      >> Martin
                      >> Lukas
                      >> Ondrej
                      >> David
                      >>
                      >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                      >>
                      >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                      >>
                      >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                      >>
                      >> helene

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Ahoj Helene,

                        FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                        POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                        Z Bohom,

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                            http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                            I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                            Anybody else have this name?

                            Peter M.

                          • lkocik@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                helene

                                 Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                ________________________________

                                Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                helene

                              • Julie Michutka
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                  On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                  > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                  > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                  >
                                  > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                  > Anybody else have this name?

                                  I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                  I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                  Julie Michutka
                                  jmm@...
                                • Matchett
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                    My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett