RE: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      There's also a variant of Ondrej, which is Andrej. Otherwise, all my older relatives are on that list.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: helenezx@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 03:28:11 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

      Hi Everyone,

      Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

      Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

      Female names

      Maria

      Anna

      Helena

      Zuzana

      Katerina

      Barbora

      Dorota

      Lucia

      Male Names

      Juraj

      Jan

      Michal

      Jozef

      Peter

      Mikulas

      Matej

      Martin

      Lukas

      Ondrej

      David

      Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

      My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

      The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

      helene

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Oops, I forgot about Julia.

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

          > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
          >
          > Jack Gergely
          > Newport News

        • Tonya Harmon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

            Pavol (Paul)
            Milan
            Jaro (Jerry)
            Igor
            Stefan

            Paulina
            Juliana

            --
            Tonya

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

              helene
            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
                > just published that list of names poplar now

                Not particularly, Helene, see:

                http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

                The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

                slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

                Martin
              • gergely
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Ah, Paulina.

                  Good Ole Aunt Pa.

                  Jack Gergely
                  Newport News

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                    helene

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      > the translate to English at top
                      > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                      Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                      Martin
                    • Katherine
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Hi Helene,

                        I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                        Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                        Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                        I'll let you know if I find any more.

                        Mar Kay

                        I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                        > Hi Everyone,
                        >
                        > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                        >
                        > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                        >
                        > Female names
                        > Maria
                        > Anna
                        > Helena
                        > Zuzana
                        > Katerina
                        > Barbora
                        > Dorota
                        > Lucia
                        >
                        > Male Names
                        > Juraj
                        > Jan
                        > Michal
                        > Jozef
                        > Peter
                        > Mikulas
                        > Matej
                        > Martin
                        > Lukas
                        > Ondrej
                        > David
                        >
                        > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                        >
                        > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                        >
                        > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                        >
                        > helene

                      • L. LEPORIS
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Aunt Sue born Urska.
                          LLeporis

                          ------------------------------
                          On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                          >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                          >
                          >Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hi Everyone,
                          >>
                          >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                          >>
                          >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                          >>
                          >> Female names
                          >> Maria
                          >> Anna
                          >> Helena
                          >> Zuzana
                          >> Katerina
                          >> Barbora
                          >> Dorota
                          >> Lucia
                          >>
                          >> Male Names
                          >> Juraj
                          >> Jan
                          >> Michal
                          >> Jozef
                          >> Peter
                          >> Mikulas
                          >> Matej
                          >> Martin
                          >> Lukas
                          >> Ondrej
                          >> David
                          >>
                          >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                          >>
                          >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                          >>
                          >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                          >>
                          >> helene

                        • William C. Wormuth
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            Ahoj Helene,

                            FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                            POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                            Z Bohom,

                            Vilo

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                                I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                Anybody else have this name?

                                Peter M.

                              • lkocik@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                    helene

                                     Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                    How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                    ________________________________

                                    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                    helene

                                  • Julie Michutka
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                      On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                      > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                      > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                      >
                                      > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                      > Anybody else have this name?

                                      I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                      I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                      Julie Michutka
                                      jmm@...
                                    • Matchett
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                        My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett