Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • Jackie Kornmeyer
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      I also found their spelling of my name to be very interesting. To get the pronunciation they spelled it Dzaklin

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Olga, Eva, Kristina, Alzbeta, Stephan, Samuel, Paul, Karol, Adam off the top of my head!

        Susan

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          There's also a variant of Ondrej, which is Andrej. Otherwise, all my older relatives are on that list.

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Oops, I forgot about Julia.

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

              > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
              >
              > Jack Gergely
              > Newport News

            • Tonya Harmon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

                Pavol (Paul)
                Milan
                Jaro (Jerry)
                Igor
                Stefan

                Paulina
                Juliana

                --
                Tonya

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                  helene
                • votrubam
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
                    > just published that list of names poplar now

                    Not particularly, Helene, see:

                    http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                    > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                    That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

                    The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

                    slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

                    Martin
                  • gergely
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      Ah, Paulina.

                      Good Ole Aunt Pa.

                      Jack Gergely
                      Newport News

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                        helene

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          > the translate to English at top
                          > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                          Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                          Martin
                        • Katherine
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            Hi Helene,

                            I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                            Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                            Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                            I'll let you know if I find any more.

                            Mar Kay

                            I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                            > Hi Everyone,
                            >
                            > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                            >
                            > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                            >
                            > Female names
                            > Maria
                            > Anna
                            > Helena
                            > Zuzana
                            > Katerina
                            > Barbora
                            > Dorota
                            > Lucia
                            >
                            > Male Names
                            > Juraj
                            > Jan
                            > Michal
                            > Jozef
                            > Peter
                            > Mikulas
                            > Matej
                            > Martin
                            > Lukas
                            > Ondrej
                            > David
                            >
                            > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                            >
                            > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                            >
                            > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                            >
                            > helene

                          • L. LEPORIS
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              Aunt Sue born Urska.
                              LLeporis

                              ------------------------------
                              On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                              >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                              >
                              >Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hi Everyone,
                              >>
                              >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                              >>
                              >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                              >>
                              >> Female names
                              >> Maria
                              >> Anna
                              >> Helena
                              >> Zuzana
                              >> Katerina
                              >> Barbora
                              >> Dorota
                              >> Lucia
                              >>
                              >> Male Names
                              >> Juraj
                              >> Jan
                              >> Michal
                              >> Jozef
                              >> Peter
                              >> Mikulas
                              >> Matej
                              >> Martin
                              >> Lukas
                              >> Ondrej
                              >> David
                              >>
                              >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                              >>
                              >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                              >>
                              >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                              >>
                              >> helene

                            • William C. Wormuth
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                Ahoj Helene,

                                FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                                POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilo

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                    I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                                    I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                    Anybody else have this name?

                                    Peter M.

                                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                      My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                        helene

                                         Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                        How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                        ________________________________

                                        Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                        helene

                                      • Julie Michutka
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                          On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                          > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                          > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                          >
                                          > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                          > Anybody else have this name?

                                          I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                          I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                          Julie Michutka
                                          jmm@...
                                        • Matchett
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                            My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett