Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

      Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

      Female names
      Maria
      Anna
      Helena
      Zuzana
      Katerina
      Barbora
      Dorota
      Lucia

      Male Names
      Juraj
      Jan
      Michal
      Jozef
      Peter
      Mikulas
      Matej
      Martin
      Lukas
      Ondrej
      David

      Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

      My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

      The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

      helene
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.

        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Mine too. Looks like a list of aunts and uncles except that neither of my grandparents names, or my mother's made the list: gm-Veronika, gf-Carol (m. Carolus and Karoly) and m-Zofia.

          Jenna

          ________________________________
[...]

          My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at mailto:helenezx%40aol.com

          The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

          helene

        • votrubam
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            > would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

            By coincidence, the most popular names in Slovakia in 2012 were published yesterday. For comparison, I added a list of the Slovaks' most common given names in the 1870s in case it is part of what you're looking for, Helene:

            http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

            The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

            slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

            Martin
          • Jackie Kornmeyer
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
              >
              > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
              >
              > Female names
              > Maria
              > Anna
              > Helena
              > Zuzana
              > Katerina
              > Barbora
              > Dorota
              > Lucia
              >
              > Male Names
              > Juraj
              > Jan
              > Michal
              > Jozef
              > Peter
              > Mikulas
              > Matej
              > Martin
              > Lukas
              > Ondrej
              > David
              >
              > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
              >
              > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
              >
              > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
              >
              > helene

            • Jackie Kornmeyer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                I also found their spelling of my name to be very interesting. To get the pronunciation they spelled it Dzaklin

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Olga, Eva, Kristina, Alzbeta, Stephan, Samuel, Paul, Karol, Adam off the top of my head!

                  Susan

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    There's also a variant of Ondrej, which is Andrej. Otherwise, all my older relatives are on that list.

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      Oops, I forgot about Julia.

                      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

                        > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
                        >
                        > Jack Gergely
                        > Newport News

                      • Tonya Harmon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

                          Pavol (Paul)
                          Milan
                          Jaro (Jerry)
                          Igor
                          Stefan

                          Paulina
                          Juliana

                          --
                          Tonya

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                            helene
                          • votrubam
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
                              > just published that list of names poplar now

                              Not particularly, Helene, see:

                              http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                              > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                              That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                Ah, Paulina.

                                Good Ole Aunt Pa.

                                Jack Gergely
                                Newport News

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                                  helene

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                    > the translate to English at top
                                    > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                                    Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                                    Martin
                                  • Katherine
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                      Hi Helene,

                                      I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                                      Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                                      Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                                      I'll let you know if I find any more.

                                      Mar Kay

                                      I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                                      > Hi Everyone,
                                      >
                                      > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                      >
                                      > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                      >
                                      > Female names
                                      > Maria
                                      > Anna
                                      > Helena
                                      > Zuzana
                                      > Katerina
                                      > Barbora
                                      > Dorota
                                      > Lucia
                                      >
                                      > Male Names
                                      > Juraj
                                      > Jan
                                      > Michal
                                      > Jozef
                                      > Peter
                                      > Mikulas
                                      > Matej
                                      > Martin
                                      > Lukas
                                      > Ondrej
                                      > David
                                      >
                                      > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                      >
                                      > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                      >
                                      > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                      >
                                      > helene

                                    • L. LEPORIS
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                        Aunt Sue born Urska.
                                        LLeporis

                                        ------------------------------
                                        On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                                        >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                                        >
                                        >Sent from my iPhone
                                        >
                                        >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Hi Everyone,
                                        >>
                                        >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                        >>
                                        >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                        >>
                                        >> Female names
                                        >> Maria
                                        >> Anna
                                        >> Helena
                                        >> Zuzana
                                        >> Katerina
                                        >> Barbora
                                        >> Dorota
                                        >> Lucia
                                        >>
                                        >> Male Names
                                        >> Juraj
                                        >> Jan
                                        >> Michal
                                        >> Jozef
                                        >> Peter
                                        >> Mikulas
                                        >> Matej
                                        >> Martin
                                        >> Lukas
                                        >> Ondrej
                                        >> David
                                        >>
                                        >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                        >>
                                        >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                        >>
                                        >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                        >>
                                        >> helene

                                      • William C. Wormuth
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                          Ahoj Helene,

                                          FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                                          POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                                          Z Bohom,

                                          Vilo

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                            How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                              I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                              http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                                              I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                              Anybody else have this name?

                                              Peter M.

                                            • lkocik@comcast.net
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                  helene

                                                   Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                                  How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                                  helene

                                                • Julie Michutka
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                    On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                                    > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                                    > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                                    >
                                                    > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                                    > Anybody else have this name?

                                                    I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                                    I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                                    Julie Michutka
                                                    jmm@...
                                                  • Matchett
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                      My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett