Re: [Slovak-World] Healthy Food: 8 Tips on Successful Weight Loss After Pregnancy

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 12, 2013
      Move to the Slovak Spot! It is better on the "other side..." :-)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hi Everyone,

        Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

        Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

        Female names
        Maria
        Anna
        Helena
        Zuzana
        Katerina
        Barbora
        Dorota
        Lucia

        Male Names
        Juraj
        Jan
        Michal
        Jozef
        Peter
        Mikulas
        Matej
        Martin
        Lukas
        Ondrej
        David

        Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

        My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

        The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

        helene
      • gergely
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.

          Jack Gergely
          Newport News

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            Mine too. Looks like a list of aunts and uncles except that neither of my grandparents names, or my mother's made the list: gm-Veronika, gf-Carol (m. Carolus and Karoly) and m-Zofia.

            Jenna

            ________________________________
[...]

            My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at mailto:helenezx%40aol.com

            The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

            helene

          • votrubam
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              > would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

              By coincidence, the most popular names in Slovakia in 2012 were published yesterday. For comparison, I added a list of the Slovaks' most common given names in the 1870s in case it is part of what you're looking for, Helene:

              http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

              The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

              slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

              Martin
            • Jackie Kornmeyer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                >
                > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                >
                > Female names
                > Maria
                > Anna
                > Helena
                > Zuzana
                > Katerina
                > Barbora
                > Dorota
                > Lucia
                >
                > Male Names
                > Juraj
                > Jan
                > Michal
                > Jozef
                > Peter
                > Mikulas
                > Matej
                > Martin
                > Lukas
                > Ondrej
                > David
                >
                > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                >
                > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                >
                > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                >
                > helene

              • Jackie Kornmeyer
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  I also found their spelling of my name to be very interesting. To get the pronunciation they spelled it Dzaklin

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Olga, Eva, Kristina, Alzbeta, Stephan, Samuel, Paul, Karol, Adam off the top of my head!

                    Susan

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      There's also a variant of Ondrej, which is Andrej. Otherwise, all my older relatives are on that list.

                      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Oops, I forgot about Julia.

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

                          > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
                          >
                          > Jack Gergely
                          > Newport News

                        • Tonya Harmon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

                            Pavol (Paul)
                            Milan
                            Jaro (Jerry)
                            Igor
                            Stefan

                            Paulina
                            Juliana

                            --
                            Tonya

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                              helene
                            • votrubam
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
                                > just published that list of names poplar now

                                Not particularly, Helene, see:

                                http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                                > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  Ah, Paulina.

                                  Good Ole Aunt Pa.

                                  Jack Gergely
                                  Newport News

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                    oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                                    helene

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                      > the translate to English at top
                                      > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                                      Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                                      Martin
                                    • Katherine
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                        Hi Helene,

                                        I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                                        Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                                        Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                                        I'll let you know if I find any more.

                                        Mar Kay

                                        I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                        On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                                        > Hi Everyone,
                                        >
                                        > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                        >
                                        > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                        >
                                        > Female names
                                        > Maria
                                        > Anna
                                        > Helena
                                        > Zuzana
                                        > Katerina
                                        > Barbora
                                        > Dorota
                                        > Lucia
                                        >
                                        > Male Names
                                        > Juraj
                                        > Jan
                                        > Michal
                                        > Jozef
                                        > Peter
                                        > Mikulas
                                        > Matej
                                        > Martin
                                        > Lukas
                                        > Ondrej
                                        > David
                                        >
                                        > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                        >
                                        > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                        >
                                        > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                        >
                                        > helene

                                      • L. LEPORIS
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                          Aunt Sue born Urska.
                                          LLeporis

                                          ------------------------------
                                          On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                                          >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                                          >
                                          >Sent from my iPhone
                                          >
                                          >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Hi Everyone,
                                          >>
                                          >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                          >>
                                          >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                          >>
                                          >> Female names
                                          >> Maria
                                          >> Anna
                                          >> Helena
                                          >> Zuzana
                                          >> Katerina
                                          >> Barbora
                                          >> Dorota
                                          >> Lucia
                                          >>
                                          >> Male Names
                                          >> Juraj
                                          >> Jan
                                          >> Michal
                                          >> Jozef
                                          >> Peter
                                          >> Mikulas
                                          >> Matej
                                          >> Martin
                                          >> Lukas
                                          >> Ondrej
                                          >> David
                                          >>
                                          >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                          >>
                                          >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                          >>
                                          >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                          >>
                                          >> helene

                                        • William C. Wormuth
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                            Ahoj Helene,

                                            FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                                            POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                                            Z Bohom,

                                            Vilo

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                              How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                                http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                                                I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                                Anybody else have this name?

                                                Peter M.

                                              • lkocik@comcast.net
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                  My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                    helene

                                                     Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                                    How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                                    helene

                                                  • Julie Michutka
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                      On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                                      > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                                      > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                                      >
                                                      > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                                      > Anybody else have this name?

                                                      I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                                      I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                                      Julie Michutka
                                                      jmm@...
                                                    • Matchett
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                        My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett