Re: [Slovak-World] Healthy Food: 8 Tips on Successful Weight Loss After Pregnancy

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 12, 2013
      CAN WE PLEASE MODERATE THIS SITE??????

      -----Original Message-----
      From: fatafeat_groups <fatafeat_groups@...>
      To: Slovak-World <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Healthy Food: 8 Tips on Successful Weight Loss After Pregnancy

      Congratulations, Mommy! Having a child is one of the greatest blessings
      you will ever receive in your life. Nothing is more fulfilling than
      being with your little on every day and watching him or her bloom into a
      great person. However, being a mother is not easy. If you have just
      given birth, you are at risk for post-partum depression. Most of the
      time, this depression comes from the baby weight you put on. Being
      healthy is important. Now that you have someone who needs your utmost
      care and attention, you must make sure that you should be very healthy.
      And everyone knows that nothing is healthy about being overweight. So
      here are effective tips on weight loss after pregnancy.
      Tip # 1: Accept That This Won't Happen Instantly... for details:
      Visit our website: http://4uhealthyfood.blogspot.com/
      http://4uhealthyfood.blogspot.com/>

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 12, 2013
        Move to the Slovak Spot! It is better on the "other side..." :-)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
          Hi Everyone,

          Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

          Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

          Female names
          Maria
          Anna
          Helena
          Zuzana
          Katerina
          Barbora
          Dorota
          Lucia

          Male Names
          Juraj
          Jan
          Michal
          Jozef
          Peter
          Mikulas
          Matej
          Martin
          Lukas
          Ondrej
          David

          Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

          My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

          The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

          helene
        • gergely
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
            This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
              Mine too. Looks like a list of aunts and uncles except that neither of my grandparents names, or my mother's made the list: gm-Veronika, gf-Carol (m. Carolus and Karoly) and m-Zofia.

              Jenna

              ________________________________
[...]

              My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at mailto:helenezx%40aol.com

              The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

              helene

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                > would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

                By coincidence, the most popular names in Slovakia in 2012 were published yesterday. For comparison, I added a list of the Slovaks' most common given names in the 1870s in case it is part of what you're looking for, Helene:

                http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                The e-mail address for the "Slovak Spot" group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

                slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

                Martin
              • Jackie Kornmeyer
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                  I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                  >
                  > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                  >
                  > Female names
                  > Maria
                  > Anna
                  > Helena
                  > Zuzana
                  > Katerina
                  > Barbora
                  > Dorota
                  > Lucia
                  >
                  > Male Names
                  > Juraj
                  > Jan
                  > Michal
                  > Jozef
                  > Peter
                  > Mikulas
                  > Matej
                  > Martin
                  > Lukas
                  > Ondrej
                  > David
                  >
                  > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                  >
                  > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                  >
                  > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                  >
                  > helene

                • Jackie Kornmeyer
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                    I also found their spelling of my name to be very interesting. To get the pronunciation they spelled it Dzaklin

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                      Olga, Eva, Kristina, Alzbeta, Stephan, Samuel, Paul, Karol, Adam off the top of my head!

                      Susan

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                        There's also a variant of Ondrej, which is Andrej. Otherwise, all my older relatives are on that list.

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Oops, I forgot about Julia.

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                            Suggest adding Pavol (Pavel) and Stefan as popular male names, and Alzbeta for females. Curious to see David as a popular name 100 years ago. Don't recall seeing this name much if at all in all my genealogical research over the years. Maybe it's just my area (Humenne). Another question -- Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for Bohus?

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" wrote:

                            > This looks looks a list of all my aunts and uncles.
                            >
                            > Jack Gergely
                            > Newport News

                          • Tonya Harmon
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                              Hi Helene, how about these names, popular in my family:

                              Pavol (Paul)
                              Milan
                              Jaro (Jerry)
                              Igor
                              Stefan

                              Paulina
                              Juliana

                              --
                              Tonya

                            • helene cincebeaux
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                helene
                              • votrubam
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  > isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture
                                  > just published that list of names poplar now

                                  Not particularly, Helene, see:

                                  http://groups.google.com/group/slovak-spot

                                  > and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                  That's unclear. None of the names was anglicized in either the current list or in that of 1880. See additional clarification at "Slovak Spot."

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                    Ah, Paulina.

                                    Good Ole Aunt Pa.

                                    Jack Gergely
                                    Newport News

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                      oops - went back and saw the translate to English at top and must have clicked on that inadvertently - Thanks Martin and thanks so much for posting this inof!

                                      helene

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                        > the translate to English at top
                                        > and must have clicked on that inadvertently

                                        Oh, thanks for letting me know, Helene, I've been wondering what was behind it.

                                        Martin
                                      • Katherine
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                          Hi Helene,

                                          I took a look at Steve's tree and came up with the following.   Most of these are from the Hrapkov area.

                                          Apolania, Alzbeta,Frederika,Zofia,Magda,Veronica, Dorotya and Ruzena.

                                          Valent, Pavol,Aloyz,Stefan,Jakub.

                                          I'll let you know if I find any more.

                                          Mar Kay

                                          I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux helenezx@... > wrote:

                                          > Hi Everyone,
                                          >
                                          > Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                          >
                                          > Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                          >
                                          > Female names
                                          > Maria
                                          > Anna
                                          > Helena
                                          > Zuzana
                                          > Katerina
                                          > Barbora
                                          > Dorota
                                          > Lucia
                                          >
                                          > Male Names
                                          > Juraj
                                          > Jan
                                          > Michal
                                          > Jozef
                                          > Peter
                                          > Mikulas
                                          > Matej
                                          > Martin
                                          > Lukas
                                          > Ondrej
                                          > David
                                          >
                                          > Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                          >
                                          > My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                          >
                                          > The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                          >
                                          > helene

                                        • L. LEPORIS
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                            Aunt Sue born Urska.
                                            LLeporis

                                            ------------------------------
                                            On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 10:51 AM CST Jackie Kornmeyer wrote:

                                            >I had two aunts who were named Ruzena. All others are there. Of course my name was found in a book by my brothers ; no one they knew had that name Jaqueline
                                            >
                                            >Sent from my iPhone
                                            >
                                            >On Jan 13, 2013, at 6:28 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> Hi Everyone,
                                            >>
                                            >> Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.
                                            >>
                                            >> Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.
                                            >>
                                            >> Female names
                                            >> Maria
                                            >> Anna
                                            >> Helena
                                            >> Zuzana
                                            >> Katerina
                                            >> Barbora
                                            >> Dorota
                                            >> Lucia
                                            >>
                                            >> Male Names
                                            >> Juraj
                                            >> Jan
                                            >> Michal
                                            >> Jozef
                                            >> Peter
                                            >> Mikulas
                                            >> Matej
                                            >> Martin
                                            >> Lukas
                                            >> Ondrej
                                            >> David
                                            >>
                                            >> Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.
                                            >>
                                            >> My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...
                                            >>
                                            >> The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.
                                            >>
                                            >> helene

                                          • William C. Wormuth
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                              Ahoj Helene,

                                              FRANKO:   Veronika, Michal,  Emerich (Imro), Anna, Apolina, Angelika, Maria, Tomas, Helena, Ferdinand, Margita, Azlbeta, Stefan
                                              POLLAK:   Eva, Jozef, Emanuel (Emus), Valeria, Alojz, Jozefina, Lenora, Marek, Matej, Jenofka, Ondrej, Lorenc, Augustin, Martin

                                              Z Bohom,

                                              Vilo

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                  I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                                  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm

                                                  I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                                  Anybody else have this name?

                                                  Peter M.

                                                • lkocik@comcast.net
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                    My personal favorite;....Vavrinec

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 13, 2013
                                                      helene

                                                       Did anyone mention Vendelin, Konstance or Magdalena

                                                      How could I forget, my Gramma was Julianna [Yuhlee-anna].

                                                      ________________________________

                                                      Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - isn't it interesting that the Slovak Ministry of Culture just published that list of names poplar now and in 1890 although i wonder why they anglicized them.

                                                      helene

                                                    • Julie Michutka
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                        On Jan 13, 2013, at 7:53 PM, whiteox_nelson wrote:

                                                        > I have one name to add ~ Apollonia - a very early saint. Appeared twice in my family from 1870 onwards. I looked her up:
                                                        > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01617c.htm
                                                        >
                                                        > I don't know if the name was fashionable (like Maria Theresa was decades earlier), or was remembered from a sermon.
                                                        > Anybody else have this name?

                                                        I see Apollonia with some frequency in 19th century Kysuca river valley, in the northwest part of Slovakia. I wouldn't call it popular, but it certainly wasn't uncommon; I probably see it more than the name Zuzanna.

                                                        I've definitely noticed that popular names are different from village to village, and also within a village over time.

                                                        Julie Michutka
                                                        jmm@...
                                                      • Matchett
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jan 14, 2013
                                                          My mother's name was Hermina. Julia Matchett