Re: Moderator Team Addition

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
      Ben,

      The good thing is that we had too many well qualified volunteers to help moderate S-R, indicating that if Greg K. were to do that with Slovak World good people would jump in to help right away. For myself, my mis-posting to S-W indicates why I would not volunteer. It is ironic that on S-R I am often the one reminding people to keep the different purposes of S-R and S-W in mind when they post!

      We are fortunate to have both groups. I forgot to mention how much I have learned about Slovaks and SLovakia because of Slovak WOrld and the two forestry workers who set up the original group - and as I remember it, how surprised they were so many people were looking for just such a group!

      I hope Greg can find time to solicit some help here. It would relieve him of the additional burden and be great for the group.

      computer freezup coming again ... I wi

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Yahoo wrote:

      > Brag away, friend. We can only wish that you were a moderator here, and we shall only dream that this page were moderated.
      >
      > Ben
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:17 PM, "Ron" wrote:
      >
      > > Folks,
      > >
      > > It looks like I was really in a hurry this morning and I got S-W confused with S-R, which I help moderate. This message was intended for Slovak Roots, not Slovak World. In Slovak Roots we added a new moderator to assure continuity of the Group.
      > >
      > > I have nothing to do with moderating Slovak World, and apologize for this gross blunder and the resulting confusion.
      > >
      > > I wish the best for Greg Kopchak and his continued administration of Slovak World.
      > >
      > > Ron Matviyak
      > > simple member of Slovak World (since 1997 if I wish to brag)
      > >
      > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Folks,
      > > >
      > > > Some time back we asked for volunteers to join Doc and I in moderating S-R and to assure continuation of the Forum. We received about 5 very well qualified offers to help us and faced the tough decision as to who to have join us in moderating this forum. We choose to keep the moderators at a small number so coordination remains easy and we are not so large that we become our own private group.
      > > >
      > > > Carl Kotlarchik is now the latest to join us and is moderating activity and spam along with Doc and I.
      > > >
      > > > This is a good time to remember, with thanks, Maura Petzolt who created this group and Bill Tarkulich who established moderator control once Maura vanished.
      > > >
      > > > Ron Matviyak
      > > > Moderator

    • Douglas Brough
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
        Well if a moderator is needed I am volunteering. I already moderate three other yahoo groups of which havnt had problems for years (ever since i kicked somebody out of the group for personal racist atracks) and a number of Facebook Groups.
        Drop me a line if you need me - id be pleased to help

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
          > learned about Slovaks and SLovakia because of Slovak WOrld
          > and the two forestry workers who set up the original group

          The few of us here who migrated to SK-W from a previous group that began in the infancy of the public internet (before browsers and spam) have a cautionary tale to tell -- "Slovak-L" found its demise after a number of successful years due to precisely what you talk about, Ron, non-moderation by the only person authorized to do it. Here's a potential for Slovak talk and little/no spam with more moderators:

          <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/slovak-spot>

          It may be necessary to copy and paste the URL rather than click on it. The e-mail address for the group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

          slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com