Moderator Team Addition

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
      Folks,

      Some time back we asked for volunteers to join Doc and I in moderating S-R and to assure continuation of the Forum. We received about 5 very well qualified offers to help us and faced the tough decision as to who to have join us in moderating this forum. We choose to keep the moderators at a small number so coordination remains easy and we are not so large that we become our own private group.

      Carl Kotlarchik is now the latest to join us and is moderating activity and spam along with Doc and I.

      This is a good time to remember, with thanks, Maura Petzolt who created this group and Bill Tarkulich who established moderator control once Maura vanished.

      Ron Matviyak
      Moderator
    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
        Thank you to Ron and Doc for all your efforts on behalf of S-W.

        This is also a time to remember, with affection, our friend Skeeter who contributed lively discussion, particularly concerning food and gardening.

        >________________________________

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
          > Ron and Doc for all your efforts on behalf of S-W.

          Unfortunately, Margo, Ron posted it to a wrong group. His and Dr. Q.'s efforts concern and the post was intended for Slovak-Roots.

          This group, Slovak-World, has been "owned" by a single person, Greg Kopchak, and slowly falling prey to spammers under the lack of attention.

          Martin
        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
            On Jan 7, 2013, at 10:51 AM, votrubam wrote:
            > This group, Slovak-World, has been "owned" by a single person, Greg Kopchak, and slowly falling prey to spammers under the lack of attention.

            I suppose there are a few things we could try; I get the impression that people have attempted to contact him by email without success, but I don't know what else has been tried.
            phone him--looks like he's listed on Switchboard.com
            go the same route as Slovak-Roots did when Maura's illness left that group in limbo, and contact yahoogroups and explain the situation
            go the same route as this group did to start with, wherein someone sets up a new group (on yahoo or google groups) and we all migrate. If that's the choice, I'd suggest setting it up with co-moderators right from the get-go.

            Just my thoughts. Excuse me if I've repeated past ideas--I haven't always kept up with the discussions lately.

            ~ Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

          • AltoClar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
              Why not just add moderators? Greg?

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
                I have been told by another 'self-appointed' moderator that my comments are no longer welcome.  Therefore, I no longer post.  But I do read.

                Chuck

                My two cents.  Which will not be worth two cents much longer.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
                  At 06:34 AM 8/01/2013, you wrote:

                  >I have been told by another 'self-appointed'
                  >moderator that my comments are no longer
                  >welcome. Therefore, I no longer post. But I do read.
                  >
                  >Chuck
                  >If my opinion means anything to you, I suggest
                  >you carry on posting. What sort of a boring
                  >world it would be if we all agreed with each other.

                  Regards
                  Nick
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
                    Folks,

                    It looks like I was really in a hurry this morning and I got S-W confused with S-R, which I help moderate. This message was intended for Slovak Roots, not Slovak World. In Slovak Roots we added a new moderator to assure continuity of the Group.

                    I have nothing to do with moderating Slovak World, and apologize for this gross blunder and the resulting confusion.

                    I wish the best for Greg Kopchak and his continued administration of Slovak World.

                    Ron Matviyak
                    simple member of Slovak World (since 1997 if I wish to brag)

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote:

                    > Folks,
                    >
                    > Some time back we asked for volunteers to join Doc and I in moderating S-R and to assure continuation of the Forum. We received about 5 very well qualified offers to help us and faced the tough decision as to who to have join us in moderating this forum. We choose to keep the moderators at a small number so coordination remains easy and we are not so large that we become our own private group.
                    >
                    > Carl Kotlarchik is now the latest to join us and is moderating activity and spam along with Doc and I.
                    >
                    > This is a good time to remember, with thanks, Maura Petzolt who created this group and Bill Tarkulich who established moderator control once Maura vanished.
                    >
                    > Ron Matviyak
                    > Moderator

                  • Ben Yahoo
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
                      Brag away, friend. We can only wish that you were a moderator here, and we shall only dream that this page were moderated.

                      Ben

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:17 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                      > Folks,
                      >
                      > It looks like I was really in a hurry this morning and I got S-W confused with S-R, which I help moderate. This message was intended for Slovak Roots, not Slovak World. In Slovak Roots we added a new moderator to assure continuity of the Group.
                      >
                      > I have nothing to do with moderating Slovak World, and apologize for this gross blunder and the resulting confusion.
                      >
                      > I wish the best for Greg Kopchak and his continued administration of Slovak World.
                      >
                      > Ron Matviyak
                      > simple member of Slovak World (since 1997 if I wish to brag)
                      >
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Folks,
                      > >
                      > > Some time back we asked for volunteers to join Doc and I in moderating S-R and to assure continuation of the Forum. We received about 5 very well qualified offers to help us and faced the tough decision as to who to have join us in moderating this forum. We choose to keep the moderators at a small number so coordination remains easy and we are not so large that we become our own private group.
                      > >
                      > > Carl Kotlarchik is now the latest to join us and is moderating activity and spam along with Doc and I.
                      > >
                      > > This is a good time to remember, with thanks, Maura Petzolt who created this group and Bill Tarkulich who established moderator control once Maura vanished.
                      > >
                      > > Ron Matviyak
                      > > Moderator

                    • votrubam
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                        > can only wish that you were a moderator here,
                        > and we shall only dream that this page were moderated.

                        Ditto. Well, having seen your post, Ben, followed with yet another "flaflafla," I set up what Julie mentioned at Google Groups:

                        <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/slovak-spot>

                        ... and copied and pasted my last post from here as a "placeholder." If more people decide to start posting there, I'll look for a few people to establish continuity in moderation, so to say (while Google has also been pretty good at sniffing out spammers on its own). I'll keep posting periodic reminders of "Slovak Spot" as a likely spam-free option, but it'll be easy to erase it if it doesn't work after some time.

                        The e-mail address for the group is:

                        slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com

                        Google Groups, like Yahoo, wants people to set up an account to take part in a discussion group, but (also like Yahoo) it then gives people the option to receive posts at their own e-mail addresses or post directly from the website above.

                        Martin
                      • Ron
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                          Ben,

                          The good thing is that we had too many well qualified volunteers to help moderate S-R, indicating that if Greg K. were to do that with Slovak World good people would jump in to help right away. For myself, my mis-posting to S-W indicates why I would not volunteer. It is ironic that on S-R I am often the one reminding people to keep the different purposes of S-R and S-W in mind when they post!

                          We are fortunate to have both groups. I forgot to mention how much I have learned about Slovaks and SLovakia because of Slovak WOrld and the two forestry workers who set up the original group - and as I remember it, how surprised they were so many people were looking for just such a group!

                          I hope Greg can find time to solicit some help here. It would relieve him of the additional burden and be great for the group.

                          computer freezup coming again ... I wi

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Yahoo wrote:

                          > Brag away, friend. We can only wish that you were a moderator here, and we shall only dream that this page were moderated.
                          >
                          > Ben
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          > On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:17 PM, "Ron" wrote:
                          >
                          > > Folks,
                          > >
                          > > It looks like I was really in a hurry this morning and I got S-W confused with S-R, which I help moderate. This message was intended for Slovak Roots, not Slovak World. In Slovak Roots we added a new moderator to assure continuity of the Group.
                          > >
                          > > I have nothing to do with moderating Slovak World, and apologize for this gross blunder and the resulting confusion.
                          > >
                          > > I wish the best for Greg Kopchak and his continued administration of Slovak World.
                          > >
                          > > Ron Matviyak
                          > > simple member of Slovak World (since 1997 if I wish to brag)
                          > >
                          > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Folks,
                          > > >
                          > > > Some time back we asked for volunteers to join Doc and I in moderating S-R and to assure continuation of the Forum. We received about 5 very well qualified offers to help us and faced the tough decision as to who to have join us in moderating this forum. We choose to keep the moderators at a small number so coordination remains easy and we are not so large that we become our own private group.
                          > > >
                          > > > Carl Kotlarchik is now the latest to join us and is moderating activity and spam along with Doc and I.
                          > > >
                          > > > This is a good time to remember, with thanks, Maura Petzolt who created this group and Bill Tarkulich who established moderator control once Maura vanished.
                          > > >
                          > > > Ron Matviyak
                          > > > Moderator

                        • Douglas Brough
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                            Well if a moderator is needed I am volunteering. I already moderate three other yahoo groups of which havnt had problems for years (ever since i kicked somebody out of the group for personal racist atracks) and a number of Facebook Groups.
                            Drop me a line if you need me - id be pleased to help

                          • votrubam
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                              > learned about Slovaks and SLovakia because of Slovak WOrld
                              > and the two forestry workers who set up the original group

                              The few of us here who migrated to SK-W from a previous group that began in the infancy of the public internet (before browsers and spam) have a cautionary tale to tell -- "Slovak-L" found its demise after a number of successful years due to precisely what you talk about, Ron, non-moderation by the only person authorized to do it. Here's a potential for Slovak talk and little/no spam with more moderators:

                              <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/slovak-spot>

                              It may be necessary to copy and paste the URL rather than click on it. The e-mail address for the group is (there's some delay between registration and the ability to post):

                              slovak-spot "at" googlegroups "dot" com