Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • byza7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      Martin,

      Tell you what Martin.

      I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

      David

      In a message dated 1/3/2013 4:47:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      votrubam@... writes:

      > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
      > of Kosice is Hungarian.

      Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves
      Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be
      swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless
      your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past
      at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today
      according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times
      "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street
      languages," either.

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

        You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

        Martin
      • byza7@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          senzus@... writes:

          Vilo,

          I will check back with that interpreter.

          kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
          restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

          David

          Martin,

          I agree with all you say. Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last
          visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.
          This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square
          was beautiful. The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused
          international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of
          the work.
          It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info. David, could it be
          possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these
          people could not understand?

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo