Re: [Slovak-World] Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      Vladi,

      Thanks but svist is to large.  I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

      The animals are similar to American Prairie dogs.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        Martin,

        Tell you what Martin.

        I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

        David

        In a message dated 1/3/2013 4:47:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        votrubam@... writes:

        > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
        > of Kosice is Hungarian.

        Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves
        Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be
        swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless
        your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past
        at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today
        according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times
        "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street
        languages," either.

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

          You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

          Martin
        • byza7@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            senzus@... writes:

            Vilo,

            I will check back with that interpreter.

            kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
            restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

            David

            Martin,

            I agree with all you say. Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last
            visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.
            This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square
            was beautiful. The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused
            international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of
            the work.
            It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info. David, could it be
            possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these
            people could not understand?

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo