Re: [Slovak-World] Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      It is called SVIST, similar to Groundhog.

      Vladi

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        Vilo,A dialect was my thought too, but it would be the Abov dialect, not Saris, which is spoken farther north.

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: senzus@...
        Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:03:53 -0800
        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

        Martin,

        I agree with all you say. Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.

        This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square was beautiful. The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of the work.

        It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info. David, could it be possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these people could not understand?

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          Vladi,

          Thanks but svist is to large.  I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

          The animals are similar to American Prairie dogs.

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

        • byza7@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            Martin,

            Tell you what Martin.

            I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

            David

            In a message dated 1/3/2013 4:47:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            votrubam@... writes:

            > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
            > of Kosice is Hungarian.

            Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves
            Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be
            swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless
            your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past
            at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today
            according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times
            "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street
            languages," either.

          • votrubam
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

              You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

              Martin
            • byza7@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                senzus@... writes:

                Vilo,

                I will check back with that interpreter.

                kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
                restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

                David