Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      ________________________________
      My first visit to Kosice was 1997, when friends drove us from Bardejov and back.

      Ob the return trip we drove past some small hills and I noticed groups of small tan colored animals which stood on hind feet looking at us.
      Does anyone know the name of these animals??  I have never seen them in any part of Slovakia or Moravia.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        It is called SVIST, similar to Groundhog.

        Vladi

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          Vilo,A dialect was my thought too, but it would be the Abov dialect, not Saris, which is spoken farther north.

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: senzus@...
          Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:03:53 -0800
          Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

          Martin,

          I agree with all you say. Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.

          This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square was beautiful. The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of the work.

          It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info. David, could it be possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these people could not understand?

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            Vladi,

            Thanks but svist is to large.  I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

            The animals are similar to American Prairie dogs.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

          • byza7@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              Martin,

              Tell you what Martin.

              I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

              David

              In a message dated 1/3/2013 4:47:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              votrubam@... writes:

              > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
              > of Kosice is Hungarian.

              Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves
              Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be
              swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless
              your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past
              at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today
              according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times
              "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street
              languages," either.

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

                You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

                Martin
              • byza7@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                  In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  senzus@... writes:

                  Vilo,

                  I will check back with that interpreter.

                  kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
                  restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

                  David