Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      Martin,

      I agree with all you say.  Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.
      This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square was beautiful.  The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of the work.
      It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info.  David, could it be possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these people could not understand?

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        ________________________________
        My first visit to Kosice was 1997, when friends drove us from Bardejov and back.

        Ob the return trip we drove past some small hills and I noticed groups of small tan colored animals which stood on hind feet looking at us.
        Does anyone know the name of these animals??  I have never seen them in any part of Slovakia or Moravia.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          It is called SVIST, similar to Groundhog.

          Vladi

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            Vilo,A dialect was my thought too, but it would be the Abov dialect, not Saris, which is spoken farther north.

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              Vladi,

              Thanks but svist is to large.  I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

              The animals are similar to American Prairie dogs.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

            • byza7@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                Martin,

                Tell you what Martin.

                I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

                David

                In a message dated 1/3/2013 4:47:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                votrubam@... writes:

                > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
                > of Kosice is Hungarian.

                Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves
                Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be
                swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless
                your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past
                at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today
                according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times
                "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street
                languages," either.

              • votrubam
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                  > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

                  You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

                  Martin
                • byza7@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                    In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    senzus@... writes:

                    Vilo,

                    I will check back with that interpreter.

                    kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
                    restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

                    David