Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
      > http://www.dw.de/slovakias-kosice-invests-in-the-future/a-16468700

      Thanks, Bill. And on the same note, here are CNN's top destinations for 2013:

      <http://tinyurl.com/aouwuky>

      Martin
    • byza7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        FYI

        I just want to add that we were in Kosice about six years ago.

        Lots of lovely exterior architecture in that town.

        Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language of Kosice is Hungarian. That was after a day of scratching my head and telling my wife that I couldn't understand one word of what they were saying. LOL

        David Novak

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
          > of Kosice is Hungarian.

          Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street languages," either.

          Martin
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            Martin,

            I agree with all you say.  Although it has been 3 or 4 years since my last visit in Kosice, Unlike in Bratislava, I heard no Hungarian on the streets.
            This city is very beautiful and even before the rework of the main square was beautiful.  The rework is exquisite and it was sad that the Romi caused international problems when they were moved to the outskirts because of the work.
            It is unfortunate that the guide gave such false info.  David, could it be possible that he meant to say the Saris dialect was the reason these people could not understand?

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              My first visit to Kosice was 1997, when friends drove us from Bardejov and back.

              Ob the return trip we drove past some small hills and I noticed groups of small tan colored animals which stood on hind feet looking at us.
              Does anyone know the name of these animals??  I have never seen them in any part of Slovakia or Moravia.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                It is called SVIST, similar to Groundhog.

                Vladi

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                  Vilo,A dialect was my thought too, but it would be the Abov dialect, not Saris, which is spoken farther north.

                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                    Vladi,

                    Thanks but svist is to large.  I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

                    The animals are similar to American Prairie dogs.

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                  • byza7@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Martin,

                      Tell you what Martin.

                      I will take will your post with that interpreter and get back to you.

                      David

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                        > svist is to large. I have seen these in the low Tatra mountains.

                        You're right, Vilo. No one can see a svist from their car on a public road in Slovakia. They only live at elevations above 5,250 ft. there. Only one paved road, closed to the public, reaches that elevation.

                        Martin
                      • byza7@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                          In a message dated 1/3/2013 5:04:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          senzus@... writes:

                          Vilo,

                          I will check back with that interpreter.

                          kosice when I was there had lovely architecture and I saw some
                          restoration of buildings that was really gorgeous.

                          David