Re: Mayan Calendar: Slovaks' Saturday plans

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
      > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk

      Convincing, Joe. The tricky part would be to invent something novel in English that would make it a parallel to the last Slovak word, which never existed until October 2011. It was invented for the ad and sounds quite fanciful. Kudos for the monosyllabic alliterating pattern in the English translation above, a fine parallel to the Slovak alliteration with the prefix o-, which draws attention to itself by repeating the meaning "over, around" (kind of: turn-around, lick-around, milk-around). To use your words, something like Twist, lick, amilk, but not quite as weird.

      Martin
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
        Joe,

        I like your translation. It works even better with the sugar high after the first box of Oreos as I celebrate the end of the Mayan Age and start of the Oreo Age.

        Can it be that that is a double barred Slovak Cross on the Oreo, and that the Slovaks saved the world?

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Krall" <joekrall@...> wrote:

        > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk
        >
        > Joe

      • Ben Yahoo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
          No, it is the New World Order, with Slovaks ruling the world. Bow to Fico!!!!

          Ben

          Sent from my iPhone