Re: Mayan Calendar: Slovaks' Saturday plans

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
      > google oreo vs. maya) The picture tells the full story.

      Ha, ha. It should be particularly fun to do it on Friday: according to The New Yorker,

      <http://tinyurl.com/cs4x6po>

      ... they're getting ready for their search page to show their "most awesome Google Doodle ever."

      A Slovak connection -- sus~ienky Oreo celebrated their first anniversary on the Slovak market this October. The last of the three "Oreo" words here:

      <http://tinyurl.com/d7zm52w>

      ... is a fun one to attempt to translate.

      Martin
    • Joe Krall
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
        How about; twist, lick, soak in milk

        Joe

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
          > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk

          Convincing, Joe. The tricky part would be to invent something novel in English that would make it a parallel to the last Slovak word, which never existed until October 2011. It was invented for the ad and sounds quite fanciful. Kudos for the monosyllabic alliterating pattern in the English translation above, a fine parallel to the Slovak alliteration with the prefix o-, which draws attention to itself by repeating the meaning "over, around" (kind of: turn-around, lick-around, milk-around). To use your words, something like Twist, lick, amilk, but not quite as weird.

          Martin
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
            Joe,

            I like your translation. It works even better with the sugar high after the first box of Oreos as I celebrate the end of the Mayan Age and start of the Oreo Age.

            Can it be that that is a double barred Slovak Cross on the Oreo, and that the Slovaks saved the world?

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Krall" <joekrall@...> wrote:

            > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk
            >
            > Joe

          • Ben Yahoo
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
              No, it is the New World Order, with Slovaks ruling the world. Bow to Fico!!!!

              Ben

              Sent from my iPhone