Mayan Calendar: Slovaks' Saturday plans

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2012
      "None" said 4 percent Slovaks in last week's poll about their plans for the coming weekend, because they believe the interpretations of the Mayan Calendar about the end of the world this Friday are quite likely (3 percent) or certain (1 percent).

      A U.S. poll on the same issue in the spring this year showed that 12 percent Americans thought the Mayan Calendar marked the end of the world in 2012. There was a substantial difference in the frequency of the belief within Central Europe -- from 4 percent in Germany to 12 percent in Poland and Hungary.

      While most people do not expect the world to end this week, when the same poll asked the Slovaks where politicians would go should an apocalypse materialize, 60 percent thought they would end up in hell.

      Martin
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
        This Slovak can't resist! I must have been through 50 or 100 Ends of the World in my lifetime, and it is long overdue that it come along! With the age of the world at 4,367 years +7 days it is due, and it will puff my ego to think it happens in my short lifetime.

        Most of all it has been fun to take the Proselytizers and tell them to "bring it on! I hope I live through most of it, even with whatever pain comes with it, it should be fascinating."

        If by chance Oreo wins out over Maya, I will take this opportunity to be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas! (google oreo vs. maya) The picture tells the full story. I vote for Oreo winning out.

        > "None" said 4 percent Slovaks in last week's poll about their plans for the coming weekend, because they believe the interpretations of the Mayan Calendar about the end of the world this Friday are quite likely (3 percent) or certain (1 percent).
        >
        > A U.S. poll on the same issue in the spring this year showed that 12 percent Americans thought the Mayan Calendar marked the end of the world in 2012. There was a substantial difference in the frequency of the belief within Central Europe -- from 4 percent in Germany to 12 percent in Poland and Hungary.
        >
        > While most people do not expect the world to end this week, when the same poll asked the Slovaks where politicians would go should an apocalypse materialize, 60 percent thought they would end up in hell.
        >

        > Martin

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
          > google oreo vs. maya) The picture tells the full story.

          Ha, ha. It should be particularly fun to do it on Friday: according to The New Yorker,

          <http://tinyurl.com/cs4x6po>

          ... they're getting ready for their search page to show their "most awesome Google Doodle ever."

          A Slovak connection -- sus~ienky Oreo celebrated their first anniversary on the Slovak market this October. The last of the three "Oreo" words here:

          <http://tinyurl.com/d7zm52w>

          ... is a fun one to attempt to translate.

          Martin
        • Joe Krall
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
            How about; twist, lick, soak in milk

            Joe

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
              > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk

              Convincing, Joe. The tricky part would be to invent something novel in English that would make it a parallel to the last Slovak word, which never existed until October 2011. It was invented for the ad and sounds quite fanciful. Kudos for the monosyllabic alliterating pattern in the English translation above, a fine parallel to the Slovak alliteration with the prefix o-, which draws attention to itself by repeating the meaning "over, around" (kind of: turn-around, lick-around, milk-around). To use your words, something like Twist, lick, amilk, but not quite as weird.

              Martin
            • Ron
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
                Joe,

                I like your translation. It works even better with the sugar high after the first box of Oreos as I celebrate the end of the Mayan Age and start of the Oreo Age.

                Can it be that that is a double barred Slovak Cross on the Oreo, and that the Slovaks saved the world?

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Krall" <joekrall@...> wrote:

                > How about; twist, lick, soak in milk
                >
                > Joe

              • Ben Yahoo
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
                  No, it is the New World Order, with Slovaks ruling the world. Bow to Fico!!!!

                  Ben

                  Sent from my iPhone