You'll be more rational when you learn Slovak

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2012
      You'll be more rational when you learn Slovak, it would appear, or any other language, including English as a non-native speaker, for that matter. Researchers have detected that "when people use a foreign language, their decisions tend to be less biased, more analytic, more systematic." Here's more about the recent experiments:

      <http://tinyurl.com/d5bvx2v>

      BTW, earlier studies indicated that speaking two or more languages may delay mental decline at a more mature age, e.g.:

      <http://tinyurl.com/ckqoqwh>

      So... should anyone see Slovak as their road to enhanced rationality, here's a link to our Slovak language courses:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/skprogram/skprogram.html>

      Martin
    • Paul Sabol
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2012
        Martin, are those Slovak Language (Elementary) classes at Univ. of Pittsburgh available online perchance?

        Regards,

        Paul G. Sabol

        "Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." - Al Swearingen

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2012
          > Slovak Language (Elementary) classes at Univ. of Pittsburgh
          > available online perchance?

          No, Paul, we don't have online classes. I was informed about the existence of this online course by its designers some time ago:

          <http://tinyurl.com/c95lloy>

          But I do not know anyone who has had experience with it (I recall a few SK-W members planning to check it out in the past).

          Perhaps because online language classes haven't been around for long, I haven't met anyone who's acquired at least quite basic communicative skills that way in any language so far (meaning beyond a few courtesy phrases and lists of nouns with no ability to understand answers to memorized questions). But I wouldn't be surprised if there were other reasons for that. It's probably not that far from teaching yourself a foreign language, which is an enormous endeavor, especially if the language is quite unlike something we already speak.