oplatke

  • amymemom
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2012
      anyone know where in the Philadelphia PA I can buy oplatke?
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2012
        The following came in our e-mail today. I never heard of this "Slovak" saying. Has anyone? Julia M.

        This is a quote of a Slovak folk saying, taken from the Alan Furst novel Kingdom of Shadows:

        Life is like licking honey from a thorn.

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2012
          > a Slovak folk saying, taken from the
          > Alan Furst novel Kingdom of Shadows:
          >
          > Life is like licking honey from a thorn.
          [...]
          > I never heard of this "Slovak" saying.

          No wonder, Julia. English sources ascribe it to an early 19th-century British writer, it was recorded in Yorkshire, England, in 1876, and... and... and it's a line from a 2011 Hollywood movie. It also figures in at least two English-language book titles:

          <http://tinyurl.com/bhof3y6>
          <http://tinyurl.com/a3hkqbm>

          That much for it being "Slovak".

          The most common Slovak idioms with honey are "[to do something] is not licking honey," meaning [to do something] is not fun all the way; "[someone be] like honey," meaning be accommodating (often excessively and against the person's will); the less frequent and obvious "like licking honey through glass"; and the increasingly old-fashioned "pull honey-soaked strings under one's nose," meaning lure someone with promises that are unlikely to materialize.

          Martin
        • Andy Verostko
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
            Don't know about Philly, but check out this site:

            http://www.catholiccompany.com/white-pink-oplatki-christmas-wafers-p9990270/

            On 11/12/2012 1:32 PM, amymemom wrote:

            > anyone know where in the Philadelphia PA I can buy oplatke?

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
              I've liked the prices from www.polartcenter.com -- but there are lots of sources.  Check with a local Polish Roman Catholic parish -- either the convent or rectory should sell oplatik.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                Thanks so much, Martin, for your reply. My parents spoke Slovak and as I said, I'd never heard that saying from them. Julia M.

              • mcl60@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                  Hi:

                  The Polish/American Cultural Museum sells Oplatke. They are located 308 Walnut St, Phila., Pa.
                  215-922-1700
                  http://www.polishamericancenter.org/giftshop.htm

                  Or, if that is not convienient, Oplatke is sold at St. Jude's Store in South Philadelphia. 1807 E. Passyunk Avenue, Phila., Pa. 215-389-7694. located between 12th and 13th on Passyunk and Moore.

                  And, St. Philip Neri's Rectory, 2nd and Queen Streets. 215-468-1922

                  http://www.stphilipneriqueenvillage.org/index.html

                  Peggy Leva

                  On 11/12/12, amymemom wrote:

                  anyone know where in the Philadelphia PA I can buy oplatke?
                • Dianne
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                    POL-AM Church Supplies
                    P.O. Box 2743
                    Clifton, NJ 07015

                    Office: 973.778.1856
                    Direct: 973.809.7238
                    Fax: 973.867.3646

                    E-Mail: polamchs@...
                    Ship Orders in 24 hrs

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2012
                      For oplatky from the Benedictine's in Cleveland OH (scroll to the second page)

                      http://www.slovakinstitute.com/Order%20Form.pdf

                    • Nemam Meno
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012