Re: Study in Slovakia

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 9, 2012
      > > Stefanik's death. My cousin had told me this in the past,
      > > but I just thought that it was her opinion.
      >
      > Few Slovak historians give it any credence.
      >
      > > that Stefanik's name had been removed from all history books
      >
      > Not just his. The Communists, on the whole, taught close to nothing about Czecho-Slovakia's democratic period between the wars. President Masaryk, others, were hardly mentioned at all, except in about one sentence in all of history -- as horrible people who made the new, post-WW I, country capitalist. All that happened during that period was ruthless exploitation and the Communists' heroic fight for, well, communism. And literature was written during that period (but no religious poems).

      This reminds me of 1993, talking to our Latvian secretary while working on the US embassy renovation. She told of her mother, a newly retired teacher, who had to work through a major crisis after the collapse of communism. She realized she had spent her lifetime teaching many falsehoods, and had trouble coming to grips with that.
    • genmom4
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 10, 2012
        I cannot thank you enough, Martin, for your enlightening comments.
        As I had mentioned, this language course taught far more than just an introduction to learning how to read and write Slovak.

        I find your comments fascinating. I chuckled at the description of the Slovaks that you reference.

        And I appreciate your verification regarding the Slovak history being censored.
        Do you know how the Slovak government handled the rewriting of Slovak history after the fall of communism? I'm curious as to how the material in print today was chosen. Who chose it, and how long did it take to get into print?

        Finally, I have to admit that I'm glad that I didn't know that the sparrows never left the nest. My daughter and I would come back to the room each day hoping that they had flown on their merry way, just because of the sheer numbers of them and the inevitable accumulation of bird feathers coming through the windows. Plus, I can tell you for fact, that those little birdies only sleep about 3 hours at night.

        Now I'm curious about these birds......we watched the mothers constantly flying back and forth, feeding the baby birds. Do the little ones grow to full size over the summer and eventually go out and get their own food over time?

        Barbara

        > > (including the nesting habits of swallows who obviously
        > > take longer than 3 weeks to leave the nest after hatching).
        >
        > Actually, they never leave the nest they were born in until they migrate south in the fall.
        >

        > > I met a teacher from Romania, in her early 20's, who was
        > > there because she lived in a community where everyone
        > > spoke Slovak. She told me that the community had been there
        > > for 5 generations.
        >
        > Some much longer, since the late 1700s. Bram Stoker had a rather unflattering paragraph about the Slovaks of Romania (Transylvania) in _Dracula_ in 1897:
        >
        > "The strangest figures we saw were the Slovaks, who were more barbarian than the rest, with their big cow-boy hats, great baggy dirty-white trousers, white linen shirts, and enormous heavy leather belts, nearly a foot wide, all studded over with brass nails. They wore high boots, with their trousers tucked into them, and had long black hair and heavy black mustaches. They are very picturesque, but do not look prepossessing. On the stage they would be set down at once as some old Oriental band of brigands. They are, however, I am told, very harmless and rather wanting in natural self-assertion."
        >
        > Some of them (only some) actually moved there from what's Hungary today, where their ancestors had resettled earlier, not directly from Slovakia.
        >
        > > So, the families continue to speak Slovak even though
        > > they live in Romania.
        >
        > That has been quite common in farming areas of Central Europe, because the migrants created their own majority language areas where they settled. The cultures of farming communities have a lot of inertia by comparison to urban areas (not to mention hunters and gatherers). For instance, some people still speak Croatian in south-western Slovakia although their ancestors arrived 400+ years ago.
        >

        > > a voucher placed inside to be used at a special store
        > > run by the government
        >
        > Here's an old thread about the Tuzex stores:

        > > Stefanik's death. My cousin had told me this in the past,
        > > but I just thought that it was her opinion.
        >
        > Few Slovak historians give it any credence.
        >
        > > that Stefanik's name had been removed from all history books
        >
        > Not just his. The Communists, on the whole, taught close to nothing about Czecho-Slovakia's democratic period between the wars. President Masaryk, others, were hardly mentioned at all, except in about one sentence in all of history -- as horrible people who made the new, post-WW I, country capitalist. All that happened during that period was ruthless exploitation and the Communists' heroic fight for, well, communism. And literature was written during that period (but no religious poems).
        >

        > Martin

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 10, 2012
          > Do the little ones grow to full size over the summer and
          > eventually go out and get their own food over time?

          Instead of "leave," it would have been clearer to say "never abandon": the young swallows/martins do fly out of the nest and feed on their own soon, but -- unlike many other birds -- the parents as well as the young ones always come back to their nest (which gets pretty crowded) for the night, sometimes to rest during the day and stay in when it rains, until they leave in the fall. The young ones begin to breed when they return the next year and build their own nests.

          > Do you know how the Slovak government handled the rewriting
          > of Slovak history after the fall of communism? I'm curious
          > as to how the material in print today was chosen. Who chose
          > it, and how long did it take to get into print?

          Rather poorly. Textbooks are commissioned by the Ministry of Education for the whole country, it took more than a decade to replace the old ones. One of the problems was that there were no experts who would have done, or could have done, sufficient amount of independent research into the "prohibited" period to churn out new textbooks fast. And partly, historians, especially those paying some attention to those periods, were among the groups of people more subservient to the Communists (and often Communist Party members themselves).

          The two aspects of it generated each other, so to say. If someone wanted to stir really far away from the Communist doctrine, s/he might avoid studying history altogether, and if in history, the person would stir away from Central European history of the 20th century. And if someone didn't, s/he probably was someone who wanted to tout the Communist doctrine (meaning, why -- otherwise -- would you want to "study" a period if you realized you'd be obligated only to "discover" and publish lies).

          So it took years after the collapse of communism for the historians, especially the maturing generation, to learn and digest the early 20th century, the textbooks came after that.

          The current "black hole" is the teaching of history under communism.