In case I haven't already sent this out...

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2012
      I'd like to invite all of you to the following book talk that's co-sponsored by the Slovak American Society of Washington, D.C., the Czech and Slovak Heritage Association, and the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences, Washington Chapter (SVUW).

      Saturday, October 13, 2012
      BOOK TALK: THE CZECH AND SLOVAK LEGION IN SIBERIA, 1917-1922
      Talk by Joan Mohr Where: Embassy of the Slovak Republic, 3523 International Court., N.W., Washington, D.C.When: 2:00pmCost: Free, but an RSVP is required, as space is limited. Please RSVP to SASW by the end of Wednesday, October 10, either via < dcslovaks@... > or at (571) 265-4436. During World War I and the Russian Revolution, a specialized battalion of ethnic Czech and Slovak former prisoners of war - the Legion - became a pawn in an international game of power and deceit. Fighting with hopes of founding a nation, the Legion's heartbreaking detour through Siberia became one of the greatest human interest stories of the war, and was chronicled weekly in the New York Times and the New York Herald. During their harrowing journey through Siberia, the legionnaires grudgingly became protectors of the Russian Treasury and of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, while accidentally precipitating the murder of the Russian royal family. Stripped of their weapons and betrayed by their former allies, over half of the legionnaires lost their lives. For political purposes, tales of the Legion's odyssey have been buried or expunged. The Czech and Slovak Legion in Siberia, 1917-1922 offers a thorough account of a once-hidden yet epic journey, shedding light on a fascinating but forgotten facet of World War I.Joan McGuire Mohr is a U.S. historian and writer in military history, historical fiction, and biography. As an immigration historian, she specializes in Slavic immigration to the United States, with an emphasis on Czech and Slovak homeland and host-settlement conditions between 1850 and World War I. She consults as a Research Fellow for the Institute for Learning, a think tank at the University of Pittsburgh, and for museums throughout the United States and the Iparmuveszeti Muzeum (Museum of Applied Arts) in Budapest. Dr. Mohr earned her BA at the University of Colorado at Boulder, an MA at the University of San Diego, and her PhD at the University of Pittsburgh She became a professor at the University of Pittsburgh while intermittently studying at Charles University in Prague, and at Comenius University in Bratislava. She served as contributing historian to the Czech & Slovak National Museum & Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, organizing, designing, and lecturing on an exhibit of rare World War I-era photographs and material culture. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Please let us know if you might purchase a book.

    • genmom4
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
        Wow! THere is apparently a LOT of Slovak history that I need to learn! Thanks for posting this, Helene!
        Barbara

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
          Not Helene, Helen.
          Helen

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: geismom@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:13:06 +0000
          Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: In case I haven't already sent this out...

        • KathleenKleber@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2012
            How much is the book and how would I go about purchasing one for a gift?

            In a message dated 10/8/2012 4:44:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            helenfedor@... writes:

            Not Helene, Helen.
            Helen

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
            From: geismom@...
            Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:13:06 +0000

> [...]

            between 1850 and World War I. She consults as a Research Fellow for the
            Institute for Learning, a think tank at the University of Pittsburgh, and for
            museums throughout the United States and the Iparmuveszeti Muzeum (Museum of
            Applied Arts) in Budapest. Dr. Mohr earned her BA at the University of
            Colorado at Boulder, an MA at the University of San Diego, and her PhD at the
            University of Pitts
            burgh She became a professor at the University of Pittsburgh while
            intermittently studying at Charles University in Prague, and at Comenius
            University in Bratislava. She served as contributing historian to the Czech & Slovak
            National Museum & Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, organizing, designing, and
            lecturing on an exhibit of rare World War I-era photographs and material
            culture. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Please let us

          • votrubam
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 9, 2012
              > How much is the book and how would I go about purchasing one

              <http://bit.ly/Ttc23y>

              Or:

              <http://bit.ly/Ttcij7>

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2012
                Are you in the Washington DC area? If you can't make it to the talk, then you could go to the publisher's website and buy it there < http://mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6571-2 >.

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                From: KathleenKleber@...
                Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:01:44 -0400

                How much is the book and how would I go about purchasing one for a gift?

                In a message dated 10/8/2012 4:44:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                helenfedor@... writes:

                Not Helene, Helen.
                Helen

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                From: geismom@...
                Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:13:06 +0000

> [...]

                between 1850 and World War I. She consults as a Research Fellow for the
                Institute for Learning, a think tank at the University of Pittsburgh, and for
                museums throughout the United States and the Iparmuveszeti Muzeum (Museum of
                Applied Arts) in Budapest. Dr. Mohr earned her BA at the University of
                Colorado at Boulder, an MA at the University of San Diego, and her PhD at the
                University of Pitts
                burgh She became a professor at the University of Pittsburgh while
                intermittently studying at Charles University in Prague, and at Comenius
                University in Bratislava. She served as contributing historian to the Czech & Slovak
                National Museum & Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, organizing, designing, and
                lecturing on an exhibit of rare World War I-era photographs and material
                culture. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Please let us

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 10, 2012
                  > > Saturday, October 13, 2012
                  >
                  > > BOOK TALK: THE CZECH AND SLOVAK LEGION IN SIBERIA, 1917-1922
                  >
                  > > Talk by Joan Mohr Where: Embassy of the Slovak Republic, 3523
                  > International Court., N.W., Washington, D.C.When: 2:00pmCost: Free, but an RSVP is > required,

                  the Legion's heartbreaking detour through Siberia became one of the
                  > greatest human interest stories of the war, and was chronicled weekly in the > New York Times and the New York Herald.

                  I hate to sound jaded, but books have been written before on the topic. With her extensive research, does the author bring anything new to the topic, or is this simply a more modern history?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 10, 2012
                    I'm still in the process of reading the book, but Martin may be able to answer the question, as I believe that Joan spoke at UPitt a while back.

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                    From: amiak27@...
                    Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:40:56 +0000
                    Subject: [Slovak-World] BOOK TALK: THE CZECH AND SLOVAK LEGION IN SIBERIA, 1917-1922

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 10, 2012
                      > simply a more modern history?

                      Yes, Ron (alert, not jaded). There was no special discovery of unknown and revealing archival Slovak/Czech documents, some actors in the events mentioned in the book remain simply last names (meaning there was no awareness of who they were, how they fitted in, not even to the point of at least being able to give their first names), etc.

                      The lecture is engaging, easy to absorb, with lots of pictures -- most of it will probably be unknown to most people in the audience.

                      Martin
                    • Tonya Harmon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 11, 2012
                        Ron, I've been reading up on this subject for the past 3 years. Not a lot
                        has been written in English about it, at least not a lot that has been well
                        written and comprehensive. I also have a video documentary on the subject
                        done a few years ago. I've blogged about it myself.

                        I have a keen interest in the topic because my great grandfather was a POW
                        in Russia and he fought in the Czechoslovak Legion there; he ended up
                        walking home across Siberia for 6 months in 1920. In fact, in both the
                        video and in Joan's book is a picture of him that I found to my surprise.
                        When I showed it to my great uncle, his memories came flooding back of his
                        father's stories of the Trans Siberian Railroad and how he rigged a boxcar
                        to be a bakery.

                        Joan's book is the best book I have read on the topic by far. She is an
                        excellent writer, and tells the story in a very enjoyable and well
                        structured way. It's a complex topic and she manages to make it
                        understandable. Many books can get bogged down with footnotes and
                        complicated names and events that influenced the legion, and she handles
                        all that very elegantly.

                        I cannot recommend it highly enough, and I wish I had written the book
                        myself!

                        Tonya

                        --
                        Tonya Harmon

                      • Ron
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 11, 2012
                          Thanks Tonya,

                          It is good to get a comprehensive commentary!

                          Ron