Re: Fwd: Slovak Speakers

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2012
      > who speak two languages are under some sort of moral
      > obligation to do everything gratis or for peanuts

      Well put, Ben. The confusion in some people's minds is the conflation of volunteering for the community at large or a group in need on the one hand, and on the other hand, work for the government or a business or an individual, which the government, business, or individual that profit from the work -- conveniently for themselves and in the hopes of fooling others -- sometimes also rush to label as "volunteering."

      "Translate, review, research this foreign-language/culture issue for me or my business" needs to be accompanied by a specific offer of compensation, how much it is worth to the person asking. Without it, it's an ignoble attempt at exploitation, not a "noble" solicitation to volunteer.