Re: [Slovak-World] How to get there? Your opinions please. PS

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2012
      Direct flight to Prague sounds good - there is a student bus or yellow bus to bratislava that is really a good deal - goes frequently and costs maybe 15 euro one way - has a/c, don't have to lift suitcase up like in the trains and is fast - maybe 4 or 4.5 hours trip.

      I took a train from bratislava to budapest - worked great but when i got to the station (Keleti) i thought i would walk to my hotel which looked close on the map. it wasn't at all - but i found a good technique for taxis - they wanted 25 euros to take me to hotel, i laughed and said i would walk, then a driver chased after me and offered 20, i countered with 15 and he grudgingly took me but wouldn't give me a receipt. I found it was a pretty long way, had gotten very dark and in some places no sidewalks - had to go underground - so taxi was the best way to go. Always ask about how much before you step into a taxi. Can research this on line too and they give tram and bus options for airports, bus and train stations. you will have fun planning your trip!

      helene

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
        The bus trip sounds good. I may be able to sleep on the way. The other thing I thought of was to book a night in a Prague hotel with brekkie the next morning to freshen me up before I head off into the wild blue yonder. The problem for me is that the Bratislavian relatives will not let me go once they find me, and I need to get to Budapest to pick the car up and then return. BTW, my Budapest relative is a taxi driver and he's getting me an older de-registered taxi for about $1000 US. Evidently all taxis over a certain age have to be replaced by law. So the train direct to Budapest is still a very good option at the moment.
        The advice on country stickers is noted . Thanks for that. Here in Australia, we drive on the correct side of the road (Right Hand Drive), so I need some lessons, probably in Budapest traffic. Wish me luck. So if you see someone weaving over the road in an old taxi sometime next May/June it's probably me. I'll be fully insured though.
        It does concern me about car ownership and the right to drive someone else's car over the borders. My dad got caught at the Slovak border in '75. Took about a 5 hour wait before the customs let him through. Times have changed though and I'll need to do some research on that. I may have to get the car transferred to my name to avoid issues but that is an extra cost.

        PS What is the name of the Slovak ice-cream that's made from whipped margarine?

        Peter M.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

        > Direct flight to Prague sounds good - there is a student bus or yellow bus to bratislava that is really a good deal - goes frequently and costs maybe 15 euro one way - has a/c, don't have to lift suitcase up like in the trains and is fast - maybe 4 or 4.5 hours trip.
        >
        > I took a train from bratislava to budapest - worked great but when i got to the station (Keleti) i thought i would walk to my hotel which looked close on the map. it wasn't at all - but i found a good technique for taxis - they wanted 25 euros to take me to hotel, i laughed and said i would walk, then a driver chased after me and offered 20, i countered with 15 and he grudgingly took me but wouldn't give me a receipt. I found it was a pretty long way, had gotten very dark and in some places no sidewalks - had to go underground - so taxi was the best way to go. Always ask about how much before you step into a taxi. Can research this on line too and they give tram and bus options for airports, bus and train stations. you will have fun planning your trip!
        >
        > helene

      • Nemam Meno
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
          I am not sure if you are referring to what I understand. But it is either "smotana" alebo "margarin"

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
            margarin, that is, krémeš

            From: whiteox_nelson <htcstech@...>

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Saturday, September 1, 2012, 11:54 PM

> [...]

            > > order.

            > > From Australia, the flights can take me to Vienna then

            > > another flight to Budapest, or a train from Vienna to

            > > Budapest, or go the scenic route via the Duna on a river

            > > boat. Now, one of the airlines is offering a direct flight

            > > to Prague which is a great option for me as it is one stop

            > > over less..

            > > Since I have relatives in Bratislava and Budapest I was

            > > wondering what other ways a weary traveller (over 24 hr

            > > trip) could possibly take from Prague?

            > > I would think that there would be a fast train to Bratislava

            > > and maybe onto Budapest?

            > > Also, I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand

            > > car+insurance under a relative's name and will sell

            > > it after the trip is over. Anything I should be warned about

            > > (travelling to most of the old Austro-Hungarian lands)?

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
              http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://najmama.aktuality.sk/clanok/231092/letne-pokusenia-su-zradne-pre-detske-bruska/&usg=ALkJrhiNwVzUxIGMLEIMDXYdgVLxD5_VGw

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > > order.

              > > From Australia, the flights can take me to Vienna then

              > > another flight to Budapest, or a train from Vienna to

              > > Budapest, or go the scenic route via the Duna on a river

              > > boat. Now, one of the airlines is offering a direct flight

              > > to Prague which is a great option for me as it is one stop

              > > over less..

              > > Since I have relatives in Bratislava and Budapest I was

              > > wondering what other ways a weary traveller (over 24 hr

              > > trip) could possibly take from Prague?

              > > I would think that there would be a fast train to Bratislava

              > > and maybe onto Budapest?

              > > Also, I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand

              > > car+insurance under a relative's name and will sell

              > > it after the trip is over. Anything I should be warned about

              > > (travelling to most of the old Austro-Hungarian lands)?

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                The best advice I received while in a taxi in Dublin, Ireland about driving on the other side of the road was this ....

                Keep your right wrist at the crown of the road (and at an intersection ponder this before you proceed into the turn) .. helped me immensely.

                Just reverse that for driving in the right-hand lane as they do in Slovakia.

                Also I recommend practicing in rural quieter areas before you venture into a city.  Also expect to be driving a stick shift -- there are VERY FEW automatic transmission vehicles in Slovakia (or Europe for that matter).

                ________________________________
                The bus trip sounds good. I may be able to sleep on the way. The other thing I thought of was to book a night in a Prague hotel with brekkie the next morning to freshen me up before I head off into the wild blue yonder. The problem for me is that the Bratislavian relatives will not let me go once they find me, and I need to get to Budapest to pick the car up and then return. BTW, my Budapest relative is a taxi driver and he's getting me an older de-registered taxi for about $1000 US. Evidently all taxis over a certain age have to be replaced by law. So the train direct to Budapest is still a very good option at the moment.
                The advice on country stickers is noted . Thanks for that. Here in Australia, we drive on the correct side of the road (Right Hand Drive), so I need some lessons, probably in Budapest traffic. Wish me luck. So if you see someone weaving over the road in an old taxi sometime next May/June it's probably me. I'll be fully insured though.
                It does concern me about car ownership and the right to drive someone else's car over the borders. My dad got caught at the Slovak border in '75. Took about a 5 hour wait before the customs let him through. Times have changed though and I'll need to do some research on that. I may have to get the car transferred to my name to avoid issues but that is an extra cost.

                PS What is the name of the Slovak ice-cream that's made from whipped margarine?

                Peter M.

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                > Direct flight to Prague sounds good - there is a student bus or yellow bus to bratislava that is really a good deal - goes frequently and costs maybe 15 euro one way - has a/c, don't have to lift suitcase up like in the trains and is fast - maybe 4 or 4.5 hours trip.
                >
                > I took a train from bratislava to budapest - worked great but when i got to the station (Keleti) i thought i would walk to my hotel which looked close on the map. it wasn't at all - but i found a good technique for taxis - they wanted 25 euros to take me to hotel, i laughed and said i would walk, then a driver chased after me and offered 20, i countered with 15 and he grudgingly took me but wouldn't give me a receipt. I found it was a pretty long way, had gotten very dark and in some places no sidewalks - had to go underground - so taxi was the best way to go. Always ask about how much before you step into a taxi. Can research this on line too and they give tram and bus options for airports, bus and train stations. you will have fun planning your trip!
                >
                > helene

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Peter,

                  At the Prague terminal you can catch a taxi or bus into town, and you would want to go to either the Florenc bus station or the main train terminal. At the bus station they have two long distant bus service companies, EuroLines and Student Agency. Don't be fooled by the word "student", it is just a name. (Also študeny = student; studený = cold).
                  airport transportation
                  http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic/prague/transport/getting-there-around
                  long distant bus lines
                  https://www.elines.cz/en/eurolines-prague
                  http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=2103
                  has a link for prague to Budapest direct, if you wish to avoid the family roadblock in B'lava and come back in your car later.

                  Long distant bus lines have been around a long time. My cousins commuted from Slovakia to Prague for decades, often on the busses for time, cost and rest on the long trip. I took my first try at it last spring from Prague to Frankfurt and found it quite easy and comfortable. They stop every two hours for a rest break and / or eating. Local currency is a must, I would guess. I had lunch and a few bottles of drink along. You might have a a day bag with you and main luggage will be under the bus. A train is nice, but you keep an eye on your own luggage and sleeping is not as comfortable unless you book a sleeping wagon, they they stick you on a long, time consuming route to give you time to sleep (I am a regular on the Excelsior from Poprad to Cheb going from one Aunt to the other.)

                  Money exchange can be a separate topic.

                  Ron
                • whiteox_nelson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2012
                    Reminds me of the time when I took an overnight train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. I fell asleep and woke up the next morning in a trainyard. The policy was to let sleepers sleep, so they diverted the train off the main line and the conductor waited for everyone to wake at their own leisure!

                    Peter M.