Orlov Bridge Repair

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2012
      Finishing up the hike with the Lubovna Hiking Club from Legnava to Orlov this spring, after the social goulash & celebration at the local Orlov pub we had a quick hike to the highway bus stop to catch our lift back to Lubovna. That is where we became personally acquainted with the bridge under repair. The bridge was damaged in the 2010 flood.

      Here is the story and photos of the bridge work, not politicians this time:
      http://www.iske.sk/en/news/7

      Bridge over the Poprad River Reunites flood-hit Orlov in North East Slovak

      (Orlov, 4 July 2012) â€" Inžinierske stavby, a. s. (ISK) held a ceremony to hand over the rehabilitated bridge in the village of Orlov destroyed by flood in 2010.

      Bridge rehabilitation work was launched in June 2011. ISK´s building operations followed up the demolition work performed during the winter months in order to remove the original bridge spans and river pier ruined by the flood. The bridgework done on the substructure ended up in the reinforcement and remodelling of the cross beams on the central pier and abutment. The first bridge span, rather well-preserved, was yet to be reconstructed up to the bearing structure surface. The pre-stressed precast units making up the bearing bridge structure were subject to remediation and had a brand-new connecting concrete slab and bridge top placed on. The second, brand-new bridge span quite stands out since erected on a steel bearing structure with a composite reinforced concrete deck and pedestrian walkways oversailing on both sides. The assembly of the structure took place in-situ in November 2011. The setting up of the 60 m long bridge span on the bearings was a fairly sophisticated operation to handle. Asphalt pavement was laid lengthwise on the bridge. ISK also completed all the finishing work such as drainage, expansion joints, safety equipment, and many other structural elements. All the work was successfully completed over a very short period of one year.

      * * * * *
      When I hiked the Medzilaborce-Lupkow area I was told the story of the 2010 flood damage to the railroad bridge at Plavec (Orlov) temporarily closing to railroad traffic for emergency repairs & RR traffic being shunted over the Medzilaborce-Lupkow line for a while. After the emergency repairs were made traffic was restored and the M-Lupkow line was again empty, allowing easy and safe hikes through the tunnel.