Re: Cell Phones in Slovakia

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2012
      Thanks for a really different perspective, Karen. On the positive side it is nice to live in a country where people are comfortable speaking their mother tongue. I do not know how many American Indians I have shocked with stories of how my mother was punished in school for speaking Slovak - just like the Indians when their languages were forbidden!

      Ben, I wasn't serious about the technical inferiority of the US phone system, though that was quite true up until I returned to the US in 1997. Then we were always behind in technology and service, and even today I believe their cell service is cheaper than ours, including in Germany, where they have good incomes. The EU just ad companies lower rates for "international" calls within the EU. Oh, on costs, my Czech cousins tell me they go to Germany periodically to shop, since some German prices are lower than Czech prices!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

      > Funny you say this.  I am a railroad conductor and see a good 5000 people a day.  We always laugh at how amazing it is that every other language is so much louder than English! People speaking English generally go to the vestibule and keep their voices down while Spanish, Yiddish, Korean, Arabic etc sit in the middle of the car screaming away. I have only ever met one Slovak that I was not related to or was a family friend so I can only comment on the Slovaks in Slovakia who seemed pretty comparable to Americans.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9, 2012
        WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
        :-)
        Ben

        ________________________________
        Thanks for a really different perspective, Karen. On the positive side it is nice to live in a country where people are comfortable speaking their mother tongue. I do not know how many American Indians I have shocked with stories of how my mother was punished in school for speaking Slovak - just like the Indians when their languages were forbidden!

        Ben, I wasn't serious about the technical inferiority of the US phone system, though that was quite true up until I returned to the US in 1997. Then we were always behind in technology and service, and even today I believe their cell service is cheaper than ours, including in Germany, where they have good incomes. The EU just ad companies lower rates for "international" calls within the EU. Oh, on costs, my Czech cousins tell me they go to Germany periodically to shop, since some German prices are lower than Czech prices!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

        > Funny you say this.  I am a railroad conductor and see a good 5000 people a day.  We always laugh at how amazing it is that every other language is so much louder than English! People speaking English generally go to the vestibule and keep their voices down while Spanish, Yiddish, Korean, Arabic etc sit in the middle of the car screaming away. I have only ever met one Slovak that I was not related to or was a family friend so I can only comment on the Slovaks in Slovakia who seemed pretty comparable to Americans.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2012
          HUH???????   WHAT?????

          ________________________________
          Thanks for a really different perspective, Karen. On the positive side it is nice to live in a country where people are comfortable speaking their mother tongue. I do not know how many American Indians I have shocked with stories of how my mother was punished in school for speaking Slovak - just like the Indians when their languages were forbidden!

          Ben, I wasn't serious about the technical inferiority of the US phone system, though that was quite true up until I returned to the US in 1997. Then we were always behind in technology and service, and even today I believe their cell service is cheaper than ours, including in Germany, where they have good incomes. The EU just ad companies lower rates for "international" calls within the EU. Oh, on costs, my Czech cousins tell me they go to Germany periodically to shop, since some German prices are lower than Czech prices!

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

          > Funny you say this.  I am a railroad conductor and see a good 5000 people a day.  We always laugh at how amazing it is that every other language is so much louder than English! People speaking English generally go to the vestibule and keep their voices down while Spanish, Yiddish, Korean, Arabic etc sit in the middle of the car screaming away. I have only ever met one Slovak that I was not related to or was a family friend so I can only comment on the Slovaks in Slovakia who seemed pretty comparable to Americans.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • votrubam
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2012
            > a railroad conductor and see a good 5000 people a day.
            [...]
            > People speaking English generally go to the vestibule and keep
            > their voices down while Spanish, Yiddish, Korean, Arabic etc

            The loud speakers above are not European. Among the Europeans, the Germans and Americans had a reputation of being loud tourists decades before the advent of the cell phone. It may prove difficult, though, to sort out to what degree the loud/quiet mode of communication is a real distinction and to what degree perhaps a stereotype. The Germans are called loud even by the German-speaking Swiss.

            Martin
          • Karen Kosky
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2012
              Just referring to the most common languages I hear. I do, however, find it amusing that Spanish is no longer considered a European language! In my travels, I've found Italians to be the loudest (and the line jumpers!) although I did have a terribly disturbing encounter with a customs guy in Dusseldorf. My Austrian stamp was so light he didn't see it and proceeded to scream his head off at me as to how I got there. I really thought I was going to be dragged off to a German prison. Can't say I have any desire to visit Dusseldorf!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2012
                With Spanish so common in the Americas it is hard to think of it as European, almost like American English has overwhelmed the original Island version.

                In 1988 I was working in Germany and we tried to chase down some German border guards to get a souvenir stamp in my visitor's passports. When we finally cornered a guard on the German-Danish border he chased us away, telling us not to bother him. We then had a good laugh with the friendly Danish guards. In 1997 when I was returning to the US when my contract expired, the fresh border guard at the airport demanded to know why I had no entry stamp in my passport... and I had to tell her that I could not explain why her government chose not to stamp the passport. She let me go.

                Other than that my handling at EU borders has always been professional. Oh, shortly after the Czech-Slovak split I was heading from SK into CZ and the guard took my passport and directed me to a far corner to park and wait. As it was lunch time I started to deck out the hood of my car so I could picnic. It seemed that when the saw I was comfortably waiting they rushed out, handed my passport over, and chased me out.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2012
                  > It seemed that when the saw I was comfortably waiting they rushed out, handed my passport over, and chased me out.

                  Too funny! I haven't had any other problems in the EU and, actually, I had the opposite experience when I had a layover in Berlin. We got off the plane and walked outside for some air. No one stopped us. I was a little amazed that we could have simply walked off with no one giving us a second look. You certainly couldn't do that here. (Or in Dusseldorf!)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2012
                    > I do, however, find it amusing that Spanish is no longer
                    > considered a European language!

                    Words can often appear amusing with cursory reading. The comment spoke of "loud _speakers_," not of the historical origin of their languages. Most native speakers of Spanish in the U.S. were not born in Europe, just like -- as Ron already pointed out -- most native speakers of English in the U.S. were not.

                    > the loudness of Americans on the cell phone versus the
                    > quietness of Slovaks on a cell

                    An interesting observation, Ben. Without having considered it before, it indeed seems to be the case -- as if most Slovak callers were making quite sure that those around don't know what they're talking about, while you mostly know exactly what your neighbors are saying when the plane lands in the U.S.