Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children

  • Paul J. Wolsko
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 2 10:57 AM
      Brings back a lot of memories. When I was little and had gained the
      privilege of "crossing the street alone", I was also given instructions on
      extra times to "cross the street""

      Whenever there was a group of black people that I would need to pass.
      Whenever there was a group of Hispanics and I would need to pass.
      Whenever I would need to pass a Jewish Temple.
      Whenever I would need to pass a Protestant Church, or Jehovah's Witness
      Kingdom Hall, etc etc.

      So I listened to my parents and was always crossing the street for the above
      reasons in addition to the need to cross, once again, when I had crossed to
      avoid walking past the offensive people (or edifice)...because I needed to
      get to where I was going. This went on for a year or so until I figured "To
      hell with it all", and walked where I wanted.

      Needless to say, as a little kid, I stood a better chance of being nailed by
      a car than being either beaten up or struck down by God on the streets of
      Passaic, NJ.

      Paul

      > LOL, and our playgrounds were cement and asphalt, none of that soft bark
      stuff or knee pads! You are right, how did we ever make it to adulthood?
      Caye

    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3 4:03 PM
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko