Re: [Slovak-World] Old loom

  • KathleenKleber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2012
      Thank you.

      In a message dated 7/30/2012 6:16:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      helenfedor@... writes:

      I'm going to forward this email to Jean so that you two can communicate
      directly, without me getting in the way.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: KathleenKleber@...
      Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:40:22 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Old loom

      I work for a non-profit Autism School - we do vocational instruction with

      our students. I think this loom would be a wonderful addition to the

      program. Where is this loom?

      In a message dated 7/29/2012 3:23:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

      helenfedor@... writes:

      I was recently contacted by a local woman who's looking for a new home
      for

      an old loom (see her message below). If you're interested in the loom, or

      know of someone who is, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the

      owner.

      "My reason for writing today is that I have an old loom which belonged to

      a family friend. My father had a loom & made carpets from old clothes. I

      think he learned it from his parents who lived in Circ, Slovakia. OK, so
      my

      brother was just going to throw it away in the trash one day. I saved it
      but

      would like to either donate it to some tax-deductible organization or
      sell

      it.

      It's unassembled right now. I'm in the process of cleaning it up & oiling

      the wood. I have no instructions on how to assemble it. Probably someone

      who is either familiar with looms or wants to learn about looms might be

      interested in this. I'm also in the process of taking pictures of the
      pieces &

      will provide them if there is any interest.I'm turning to your two

      organizations first, as I think this is part of the Slovak/Rusyn
      arts/crafts

      history. The loom was probably bought here in the USA. However, when I
      visited

      Circ, Slovakia in 1979, relatives & others in that village had carpets
      just

      like what my father/family & family friends made. "

    • George Sirko
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
        My Father emigrated from Slovakia in 1912.Yes, the Loom  is part of Slovak/Rusyn
        arts/crafts history
        .He had a loom in the basement and he and my Mother couldn't keep up with orders
        for carpets circa 1950's. People fro m all around would bring rags to be made
        into throw rugs. We are still using some of the throw rugs he made on the
        loom. George