Re: [Slovak-World] Harsh treatment of children

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 2, 2003
      LOL, and our playgrounds were cement and asphalt, none of that soft bark stuff or knee pads! You are right, how did we ever make it to adulthood? Caye

      Marty <halfslovak@...> wrote:When my faher would fly into one of his rages it would be excused because he had a bad temper. That "Slavish temper of his". Not only did we receive ciorpolral punishment at home but also by the priests at school. Its a wonder we survived at all. LOL

      Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:I suffered not only "assholism" (as I personally like to refer to the disorder) but physical and mental abuse at home -- and yes, ALL from my mother -- dad's fault was his inability to stop the cycle and quit his enabling. Took lots of counseling to realize I'm not the only one. At least with knowledge, we've got the ability (will we use it?) to stop.

      Caye

      "Paul J. Wolsko" <pwolsko@...> wrote:
      I'd rather have had my parents hit me than to pull the mind games that they
      did. You can get over being hit, but mental injuries last a lifetime.

      Paul W.

      > "Save the stick-spoil the child?"
      > How was that?
      > Do any of the members recall anything about harsh treatment of children in
      a family?
      > Have any of the members been beaten or punished while young?
      > Why babicka is more popular and loved than mother?
      > Is this issue a taboo?

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Jan Lan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 3, 2003
        At 10:57 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 BJLK@... wrote:
        >

        > > There are probably as many as there are parents who can invent creative
        > > punishments. I was given wood chunks to kneel on (the kind that are
        > roughly
        > > chopped for the fireplace or furnace with lots of splinters). I'm a little
        > > surprised to see that "painful kneeling" seems to be more a common
        > experience than I
        > > ever imagined. Is this a downside of being brought up Slovak?
        > >
        > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
        >
        >Sounds like a downside of being brought up Catholic. :)

        More like an attempt to assert dominance. The alpha wolf thing.

        Janko