Re: Nickname

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2012
      > Stanislaus who was called Shtana.

      If used in Slovakia, it had to have ended in -o in Slovak. Unlike in some other Slavic languages (and unlike Slovak last names), Slovak men's first names and nicknames do not end in -a.

      Americans often want to spell the Slovak _a_ as _o_: halupki (which is based on the Slovak _holubky_), etc.

      Martin
    • Karen Kosky
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2012
        I was spelling phonetically. I don't know it was written as he passed many years ago and I only know stories and photos...he kinda looked like Kramer!

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7, 2012
          > I only know stories and photos
          > [...]
          > I was spelling phonetically.

          Indeed, and not quite. The last sound was like the -o- in hot (not like the -a- in hat), the first sound was -s- (not sh): Stano.

          > Marika, although I heard the latter used only
          > by my mom to refer to the Virgin Mary

          Marika is a Hungarian nickname for Maria, which is quite common in Slovakia (it also occurs in some South Slavic languages) and is often thought of as a separate name (e.g., the singer Marika Gombitova), but unlike Maria, Marika does not have its "name day" in the Slovak calendar.

          Martin
        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
            Helen, I discovered that too when around one monument at 'work' (actually, an internship) Molly, Polly, and Mary are all used for one woman.

            Maris~ka is an interesting word; the verb 'hulit' is often found nearby. :-) It is not just Mary, but also marijuana. :-P

            Let's see. in my family, we have:
            Benik
            Benisko
            Bendz~i
            Benus~ko

            Nikolko
            Nikus~ko
            Nikolasik
            Niki (NOT a Slovak derivation)
            (rarely) Nikolaj

            Emilia
            Mis~ka
            Mis~a
            Mis~ulienka

            Adamec~ko
            Adamko

            As each of the boys have two middle names, the level of trouble they are in directly correlates with how many names we utter in anger.

            Ben

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
              ***happened to spot the word "Marc~a,"

              We have one Maria in the village called Marsha, by my ear, but that is the same ear that still occasionally hears "gehma" in place of "ideme". I would swear I do not hear the _č_ but _sh_.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                Is "-i" as an ending for feminine nicknames (and other feminine words) a borrowing from Hungarian? My people live SE of Kosice, about 25 miles from the Hungarian border. I have a cousin Eva who I heard called either Evic~ka or Evi. I also remember hearing "mami" (mama + -i ?).

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                From: votrubam@...
                Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 04:54:40 +0000
                Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Nickname

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                  Sometimes, Helen.

                  I have a cousin, Zuzana, whom we refer to as Zuzi or Zuzka. But my wife's nickname, Milka or Mis~a, cannot change to Mis~i (it would sound like "mice"). Mami is normal as well, but this is usually a "spoken" phenomenon I find. There seems to just be a feel for when it works and when it doesn't.

                  I am sure that there is a rule out there, but I would leave that to our jazykovedec, Dr. Martin. After all, Chuck Norris prays to him. :-) (Martin's mind makes the speed of light wish it were faster!)

                  How would you translate jazykovedec to English, BTW?

                  Ben

                  ________________________________

                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                  From: votrubam@...
                  Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 04:54:40 +0000

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                    > jazykovedec to English, BTW?

                    A linguist. Jazykoveda = linguistics.

                    > I am sure that there is a rule out there

                    Not a clear one, it's a kind of "floating quasi-vocative" (as Chuck Norris would surely put it). The -i with women's first names and nicknames (as well as with "mother," etc.) typically occurs in direct address. It's possible, but not that common to say, e.g., "Zuzi/mami said/arrived..." but some people will often say, e.g., "Zuzi/mami, where is the...?" The -i is not from Hungarian, it happens in Czech, too, for instance.

                    The tendency to modify first names in address occurs with men's names, too. E.g., some people will often speak of someone as Joz~o, but when they address him, they will use the diminutive/endearment Joz~ko ("Joz~o said/arrived..."; "Hi, Joz~ko.")

                    None of the above is a rule, regional or otherwise, some people do it more, some less or hardly ever (some of it may appear infantile to some). It can happen in English, too, on occasion, but it's hardly detectable because there are so few name variations, e.g., "John said..." and "Johnny, come here." in reference to the same person.

                    Martin
                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                      :-) Actually, Chuck Norris proved his linguistic abilities in the Czech Republic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=qhaIsN2Ru7Y

                      Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for the information you give us. I cannot believe that I could not make the connection between jazykovedec and linguist; being bilingual is almost a form of schizophrenia.

                      Ben

                      ________________________________

                    • lkocik@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                        Ben

                         I attached a document but I might have to post it to the file page...I will if this doesn't work.

                         The doc lists a Stanli Hunkovic.

                         It's of interest because of the spelling of Stanli, with an "i".

                         I also thought the name Hunkovic was interesting because of the derrogative nickname "Hunky". The name Hunkovic also seems to be  Croatian with the "ic" prefix....just my opinion.

                        Larry

                        Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for the information you give us. I cannot believe that I could not make the connection between jazykovedec and linguist; being bilingual is almost a form of schizophrenia.

                        Ben

                        ________________________________
                        > I am sure that there is a rule out there

                        Not a clear one, it's a kind of "floating quasi-vocative" (as Chuck Norris would surely put it).  The -i with women's first names and nicknames (as well as with "mother," etc.) typically occurs in direct address.  It's possible, but not that common to say, e.g., "Zuzi/mami said/arrived..." but some people will often say, e.g., "Zuzi/mami, where is the...?"  The -i is not from Hungarian, it happens in Czech, too, for instance.

                        The tendency to modify first names in address occurs with men's names, too.  E.g., some people will often speak of someone as Joz~o, but when they address him, they will use the diminutive/endearment Joz~ko ("Joz~o said/arrived..."; "Hi, Joz~ko.")

                        None of the above is a rule, regional or otherwise, some people do it more, some less or hardly ever (some of it may appear infantile to some).  It can happen in English, too, on occasion, but it's hardly detectable because there are so few name variations, e.g., "John said..." and "Johnny, come here." in reference to the same person.

                      • Eve Smith
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                          My cousin Anna in northern Slovakia (who is currently residing in England) goes by Anicka. She recently walked 500 miles in two months after graduating from college in England, a pilgrimage from France to Spain, Camino de Santiago! Her photos on the site looked like it was a beautiful walk. Ouch my feet!

                        • William C. Wormuth
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 8, 2012
                            Larry,
                            First, I SWEAR I AM NOT AS SMART AS BEN.
                            I looked up Hunkovic on Ellis but had no luck.  I tried "Honkovic" and founf a Maryana who immigrated, 1905 from Siary, Southern Poland.  The original manifest handwriting for Honkovic, the "o" looks like a "u".   There is a Ross Hunkovic, (on "Google"), Geneseo, NY.

                            The Honkovic from Siary has a Slovak spelling, Polish would have been Honkovicz.

                            Z Bohom,

                            Vilo

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
                              Vilo

                               First; I disagree. Ben is very smart in his way, and your smart in your way....

                              He's too young to be smarter than you. I'm sure Ben understands what I mean.

                               About Hunkovic;  I have a naturalization record [intent] and it is spelled

                               Stanli Hunkovic, born in Radosocz, Austria Hungary.

                               I was going to upload it to the file section but I don't know how.

                               I'll send it to you so you can see.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
                                I am so sorry that I have not been able to touch this yet- but after work I am on it. :-)

                                Hunkovic does not show up at all in 1995, but Hankovic does (mostly in the Banska Stiavnica area).  Spellings change over time; the Grady family of Duplin County, North Carolina, for just one example, has had their last name spelled as Graday, Graddy, Grady, and O'Grady. :-) I will get more info hopefully tonight. :-)
                                Ben

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
                                  Where is the document from? Is it American?

                                  Stanislav is a normal name in Slovakia, and Stanley is NOT on the calendar. I think you have a transliteration of a name here, personally. Spell it as it sounds!

                                  As far as the origin of Hunkovic, I will look deeper into that-- Martin would be another who would know perhaps immediately if this is more Southern Slavic than Slovak.
                                  Ben

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
                                    Larry,

                                    I believe he was from Radsovce, Zahorie.

                                    I have never published this site but it is very interesting:

                                    http://www.travelatlas.sk/index.html

                                    Rados~ovce , "Skalice"- lower left:http://www.travelatlas.sk/zahorie/zahorsh.html

                                    Z Bohom,

                                    Vilo