Re: German Mahren

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5 9:54 PM
      > Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren.

      Impossible; no historical or linguistic grounds for "assuming" that. It is a Polish and East-Slovak word for "carrot" (it may also occur as a regional word elsewhere in the Slavic-speaking area). The meaning "root" was only present in old-Old German, and had already shifted to "carrot" by the Middle German period, but German never had the -v- in it -- that was inserted after the word entered the Slavic languages. The family name Marhefka means "carrot" and is Slavic in origin.

      Martin
    • Peter M
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6 3:55 PM
        Thanks Martin. I'm happy that's been cleared up.
        Peter M.