Re: German Mahren

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
      > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
      > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

      That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).

      Martin
    • Peter M
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        Well that's fascinating and very significant to the work I'm doing.
        So Marchevka (root meaning 'root') has been otherwise spelt as Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren. If Marhefka means something else, then I'd be interested in that very much.

        Thanks

        Peter M.

        > > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
        > > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
        > > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.
        >
        > That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).
        >

        > Martin

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
          > Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren.

          Impossible; no historical or linguistic grounds for "assuming" that. It is a Polish and East-Slovak word for "carrot" (it may also occur as a regional word elsewhere in the Slavic-speaking area). The meaning "root" was only present in old-Old German, and had already shifted to "carrot" by the Middle German period, but German never had the -v- in it -- that was inserted after the word entered the Slavic languages. The family name Marhefka means "carrot" and is Slavic in origin.

          Martin
        • Peter M
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
            Thanks Martin. I'm happy that's been cleared up.
            Peter M.