Re: [Slovak-World] SLOVAK HERITAGE

  • sichva@junction.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2012
      Barbara;

      I liked Julia's suggestions, too. My Slovak grandparents were both dead by the time I was 5 years old so I didn't have the opportunity to find out anything first hand from either of them. Some of my siblings got little snippets of stories but nothing was ever put together in one place that we could refer back to. It would have been a wonderful resource for our generation. Especially now, when I am planning to travel to Slovakia.

      I suspect your family will appreciate it in the future - if not right now.

      Shelly

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
        All,

        I share the idea about writing down the memories. I for one would be interested in reading it. Im also interested in how your grandparents lived with the ethnic-German and Hungarian populations. What problems did they face? Were friendships strained during the war years? Were they glad to see them gone considering them as warmongers or did they consider them innocent of any crime etc etc etc.

        Take Care

        Douglas

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
          Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
          From: senzus@...
          Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:33:42 -0700

          Helen,

          Thanks, I forwarded all messages and I gave them your name and email. address. The message is very long but if you want a copy, I will send.Helen thanks again for your input.

          S Panem Bohem,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          From: senzus@...

          Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:32:21 -0700

          Barbara,

          It is sad and the same thing is occurring in Slovakia. In "My Town", K�ty, Zahorie, Western Slovakia

          In January, I received emails from two men, Richard Drs~ka Drrrsh-kah] and Filip Hus~t'ava [Huhshtya-vah], requesting Photos of original kroje and other historical info from our immegrants here in Johnstown, NY. Their intention is to preserve them, locally in a yet to be built museum. Richard is employed in the Zahorie muzeum in Skalica [Skahlee-tsah]. They are working with people from Moravia who are expert in Kroje making and preservation.

          On Thursday, I was reading news from our kuty.sk site and saw that Filip has scheduled a gathering of youth, to teach our traditional Polka and Waltz waltz. He wants them to be prepared for dancing during our Hody [Hoh-dee] the yearly celebration of the consecration of our church, (ST. Josephs), held on the weekend closest to the feast of Our Lady of Snows, (Panenka Maria Sniez~u) (August 5th).

          I hope that this preservation work will occur in communities all over Slovakia, preserving our beautiful cultural heritage.

          Barbara, you are to be commended for your contributions and I would suggest you let the kids know how hurt your feelings are.

          S Panem Bohom,

          Vilo

[...]

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2012
            Helena,

            Diki Vam!

            S Panem Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            From: senzus@...

            Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:32:21 -0700

                  Barbara,

            It is sad and the same thing is occurring in Slovakia.  In "My Town", Kúty, Zahorie, Western Slovakia

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
              Below is todays article in the Kúty News article concerning the subject.

              http://kuty.sk/

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Ahoj Vilo,I just hope it pans out for your friends.

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

[...]

              message have been removed]

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
                Background for this topic:

                 SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:47 PMVilo, I changed the topic to 'German Mahren' in case you didn't see it.
                It's questionable if name etymology is off-topic. But if you do move it to
                SW then let me know.

                Peter M.

                On 5 July 2012 08:39, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

                 Ron,

                I would like to further argue but on Slovak World because itt is rather

                off Roots.

                Awe c'mon!, it's fun an' intrestin'. Besides, Martin might get in to it..

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2012
                  > Morava and Mähren and Moravia
                  > translations of one another.

                  Old Slavs used the word _morava_ or its plural _moravy_ to indicate marsh(es). In those days, they pronounced the modern [v] as [w]. The neighboring Germanic tribes missed the [w] and adopted the place name name as Ma"hren, it eventually gave name to the whole Margraviate of Moravia. Several small, historically marshy localities scattered in the Slavic countries are called that, not just the two better known rivers.

                  The loss of the Old Slavic [w] when a place name was adopted into a neighboring non-Slavic language happened with some regularity.

                  ----- E.g., Pankow (originally a Slavic place name), an elegant borough of the former communist-ruled part of Berlin, is pronounced [panko] by Berliners, not [pankof] as one might expect.

                  ----- Liptov (pronounced [liptow] then by the Slovaks' ancestors) was adopted as Lipto by the Ugric tribes when they arrived around 900 CE; Novohrad, originally Nov Grad ("New Castle") became Nograd in Hungarian, etc.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                    What struck me about the name Marchevka is that, in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                      > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
                      > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
                      > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

                      That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).

                      Martin
                    • Peter M
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                        Well that's fascinating and very significant to the work I'm doing.
                        So Marchevka (root meaning 'root') has been otherwise spelt as Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren. If Marhefka means something else, then I'd be interested in that very much.

                        Thanks

                        Peter M.

                        > > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
                        > > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
                        > > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.
                        >
                        > That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).
                        >

                        > Martin

                      • votrubam
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                          > Marhefka, which I assumed to be of German origin from Mähren.

                          Impossible; no historical or linguistic grounds for "assuming" that. It is a Polish and East-Slovak word for "carrot" (it may also occur as a regional word elsewhere in the Slavic-speaking area). The meaning "root" was only present in old-Old German, and had already shifted to "carrot" by the Middle German period, but German never had the -v- in it -- that was inserted after the word entered the Slavic languages. The family name Marhefka means "carrot" and is Slavic in origin.

                          Martin
                        • Peter M
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                            Thanks Martin. I'm happy that's been cleared up.
                            Peter M.