Re: [Slovak-World] 1870 Emigrant steerage display

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2012
      Shelly,

      Did you try here recently for help in finding info?  If not,  what are the names of your grandparents.  Were they married here?

      For Hasprunka/Studienka [Haspruh-kah/Stuhdeehn-kah], I might be able to help as I have relatives near there. Siroke is in Eastern Slovakia and I am not as familiar but can still help many  now study English in Slovakia, today.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
        Hi Shelly,
        I hope you have a dictionary or a translator. I have been through Siroke which is a small but nice town.
        Most of the older people do not speak English so look for some young kids that might help you. During
        the week most likely no one is at the church. Usually some one in the village has a key though and
        would let you in. Your best bet is to find the town municipal building and ask there. You can also ask
        at a local grocery store. If you are driving from the west you might go through the new tunnel which
        is very long but so much better that going the old way up the hill.
        Have a wonderful happy trip.
        Katherine in NJ

      • sichva@junction.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
          Katherine;

          Great suggestions - I will check out the municipal building! and the new tunnel while I'm there.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
            Vilo;

            I have just recently found "Slovak World" and have been enjoying the conversations.

            My grandfather, who was born in Hasprunka around 1884 (we think) was Paul (Pavel) Chvala. Various information gives his fathers name as either Vincent (?) or Pavel and his mothers name as Catherina or Katherine. He first met my grandmother in New York and they got married there a few years after she arrived in the USA.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
              Shelly,
              One of the things you should try to find relatives in Slovakia before your trip is to look on Facebook for your surnames. I know that sounds a little crazy, but once when I was doing a Google search of my Kotlarčik surname, a listing came up for it on Facebook. So, I joined Facebook and contacted the individual. And we were indeed related. Now I have found 5 different families on Facebook, some who live in very small villages, that are related to me. I am in contact with all of them. So, then I looked for my mother's Slovak family the same way. Again, I was able to find several members in the town where my grandparents lived. Finally, I looked for a Serbian family with a very common surname. There were too many to contact so I looked for ones that came from my ancestor's village in Hercegovina and found several who I contacted. After struggling a bit with the language, I really hit pay dirt!. I found a member of my family who had a family tree with 126 members.....including my great-grandparents. From this tree, I was able to find about a dozen members of the family who now live all over the world (due to the war there in the 1990s). They have shared a lot of information about the family with me and were excited to find an American relative. One of the children, now living in Serbia is working in America this summer and will be visiting us this September. Pretty exciting.
              Anyway, give it a try.
              CK

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                Carl,
                Good suggestion!

                Additionally, Telephone books are good in finding relatives.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                  One more thing that I forgot to mention. Also, search on the feminine version of your surname on Facebook. I had much more luck using the Kotlarčiková version! And thanks Vilo.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Great ideas Carl

                    Thank you.

                    Shelly