Re: modern funeral practices in Slovakia?

  • Peter M
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1 1:29 PM
      I've read all of this with interest.
      My mother just came back from Slovakia a few days ago. Although she didn't ruffle any feathers, she kept to her adopted culture (Australian) and the Slovak family was respectful of that.
      I think that if you explain about funeral customs (or ask someone beforehand) you won't feel embarrassed. Slovaks are cultured people and they understand things like this.

      Peter M.

      > > I've never heard of presents given.
      >
      > Which underscores Ben's caution about assumptions of "national" customs (funeral or otherwise).
      >
      > Let me mention a gift of a box of pricey citrus fruits to a Slovak by an American on the occasion of the Slovak's father's death that I'm familiar with. The American was then described as "an idiot" by the Slovak not familiar with the U.S. (perhaps limited) custom. And a query I fielded from a highly placed American executive of a U.S.--international company with a significant exposure in Slovakia (paraphrasing): "A dear Slovak friend's mother has just passed away. The [female] friend will drop by for a visit next week, what would be an appropriate present to give her on this occasion?" The following discussion confirmed that the American did intend to give her a present on the occasion of and because of her mother's death, not just a "friendship" present that the executive hoped would merely happen to work under the circumstances.
      >

      > Martin

    • boggiegrey
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
        Karen, I am Slovak and live in upstate, New York, near Albany, and I have heard of the practice of funeral gifts. I grew up knowing about it and seeing it at funerals in my own family. Jo Ann Ralbovsky

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

        > I wouldn't profess to know what goes on in every corner of this vast country. All I can say is this practice of funeral gifts is completely unheard of in NY amongst the numerous faiths that I attend services for.
        >
        > On another subject, I am curious of something. I have a photo from my grandmother's brother's funeral procession in Slovakia in the 40s. There is a girl wearing a wedding dress. When I questioned my mother, she quite nonchalantly said that was the girl he was going to marry. I couldn't quite decide if that was sweet or disturbing. I'm curious if this sort of display still goes on.
        >
        > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
          Joanne Ralbovsky/Cuca and Judy Wormuth were close friends.

          And am I from Johnstown, Novy Yorku.  Before funeral homes opened, we brought Foods to the homes.  Later, the only gifts were mass Cards and flowers.  tell me, what were the gifts????    Slovaks used Lasak, (Schenectady), until Frank Burda began to direct funerals.

          When people began using funeral homes, we had three ethnic funeral homes:  Maggie Dunn, (Irish), Donnan, (Italian) and Burda, (Slovak).

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
            Vilo, my father was Slovak and mother Polish. Lasak Funeral Home did bury our family when it was located on Congress Street, across from St. Cyril Church and then moved to its Chrysler Street location. I was still young back then, but remember people bringing Mass Cards and food. My Polish aunt told me of how they waked family members at home prior to funeral homes years ago. Yearly my family would go up to Auriesville and have masses said for the deceased of the family.

            I live in the village of Waterford and know of a local funeral home there that prepares a home-cooked meal for a family during a wake which I think is very nice. I never heard of a funeral home doing that other than maybe years ago at Parker Brothers Funeral Home in Watervliet which my mother's side of the family used.

            I did come across a small white wicker basket years ago that someone told me was hung on doors at homes where young children were being waked. A custom for mourners was to put a light-colored flower into the basket when they entered a home waking a child.
            Jo Ann Ralbovsky

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
              Joanne,

              Another note: When people were "laid out", in their homes, a basket filled with flowers was hung on the wall next to the door.  I think  that when I see flower displays on the porches.

              My Grandfather told me that he went to view the body and pray for his Irish friend.  When he entered the room, there was a round table at which were seated the mans close friend playing cards.When he approached the casket he saw that the body was not there.  He looked at the rather drunk card players and was aghast at what he saw.  They has removed their friend from his casket and place him at the table and put a beer bottle in his right hand.  Gramp was mad at them and asked how they could do such a disrespectful thing.  the answer came from o nmne of them, in a strong Irish accent "Dohncha knh ttssisah  wake ahn we-er try'an ta wake 'em oop".

              Another was when a good friend died, Gramp when to the funeral.  The next day he met the departed' best friend, an Austrtian immigrant.  "John how come you weren't at your best friend's funeral.  "Maht tah hell fohrr, he ani't kamehn tah maheen".

              In Burda's funeral home, there was a small kitchen leading into the viewing room.  There were always 5 or 6 men sitting there drinking whiskey.  after the burial, people went to visit the homes, bearing foods.

              Which Ralbovky are you?  I would be glad to help with your genealogy,
              should you start.  Ralbovsky is a name from Kúty, Slovakia and I help
              many with research.  I have visited there 28 times since 1971 and know
              many people there. you

              S Panem Bohem,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                Vilo, my dad's name was Anthony Cyril and his mother's first name was Justina. His father's name was Joseph. My father had a sister named Mary and another sister named Agnes and two brothers named Joseph and Steven and a younger sister named Anna who died when she was seven years old. They came from Slovakia and lived in the Mt. Pleasant area of Schenectady for many years. My dad worked in GE for 40-plus years before retiring and was in the army during the war. He was 61 when he passed away.

                I remember Johnny Lasak, the funeral director, as a very nice man. He is buried nor far from my parents graves in Sts. Cyril & Method Cemetary. I know in early times people cut their deceased's hair and made them into picture frames or other objects to remember them by. I can still remember who I was sitting by and what I was wearing when my grandmother died and we were at the funeral home. She was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis, I think it was called, and had a brown robe on, looked like a monk's robe. I probably was about ten at the time.

                Any information you could come across about my family I would be interested in learning. Thanks. Jo Ann Ralbovsky

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
                  On 8/6/2012 7:08 PM, boggiegrey wrote:
                  > >She was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis, I think it was
                  > called, and had a brown robe on<
                  My mother was also buried in the brown robe of the Third Order of St.
                  Francis. She died in September, 1958, and was laid out at home. The
                  wake at home was the custom at that time.

                  William F. Brna
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                    Thanks for the tales, Jo Ann & Vilko!  Fascinating.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 8, 2012
                      Joanne,

                      I have been working on your family history and have your Grandfather's Birth/ Baptism records.
                      His Mother was Maria Vavra